Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this but had no responses. I'm going to try again, b/c my obsessive side is starting to worry about cancer, etc....I'm new here, but am really glad I found this place. In reading, it seems that I have the same symptoms for the most part as you guys!! Ok, here's what's been going on. About 6 weeks or so I started having this D a couple/three times a day, pretty much every day since then, with a few days of C occasionally. Rarely "normal" bm days since early November . No blood, just frequent runny loose stools, URGENCY to go sometimes, and I feel so much better afterwards!! My stomach feels like it has butterflies in it....I've heard it called a 'nervous' stomach...that definitely fits. I've had ALOT of extra stress for the past few months...ALOT!!!and have been put on Paxil CR 37.5mg for anxiety/depression since about October. I'm actually wondering if since I'm on meds now for anxiety, my body has just developed these new gastro ways of dealing with my constant stress???? Any help/comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hi maryr,Glad you found this BB.Your symptoms sound a lot lot so many others on here, myself included.Have you actually been diagnosed with IBS by a dr. ?What you describe sounds like IBS for sure, but of course with each person there are variations.I wouldn't worry about Cancer, but if you haven't been diagnosed and tested to rule out other problems, then it is something I suggest you do.Keep reading the different forums on this BB, you'll get a lot of useful info and if you have any more questions, don't hestitate to ask.I know I didn't really answer any of your questions, but I'm sure someone more qualified will be able to help you.Hope you start feeling better soon!Jeanne

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hugs to you- it is awful to feel that way. I believe (not positive) the warning sign for cancer is blood in the stools but you would need to see a Dr to be sure. It sounds like IBS to me. I also think that paxil can cause really bad diarrhea can't it?? Maybe ask around about that. I wonder if you have tried caltrate with each meal to help with the diarrhea yet? I know there is some info about that on the diarrhea board. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys! I'm SUCH a hypochondriac, and I know the anxiety over the D isn't helping any, I'm certain, in fact that it is making it worse.I know I need to go to a dr. but hypo that I am, I'm also scared of drs! (silly isn't it) I'm about 99.9% positive it's IBS from the links and the absence of "alarm" symptoms and the plethora of my symptoms that coincide perfectly with everyone else's. Boy, stress sure does SUCK doesn't it!!????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I�m new here too, just found this BB today. Mary�s story sounds very much like mine. At three weeks I was told I had the flu by my Dr, and told to rest and drink lots of prune juice. Well it's over five weeks now, so I don't think it's the flu. Looking for relief I found this site. I'm still not better. I had diarrhea for over two weeks, 3-5 times a day, then followed by two weeks of constipation. Now today it's all mixed up, and I always have the feeling like I need to go. I still have a lot of pain in my abdomen, sharp pains more so on my left side, bloating, lots of gurgling, cramping, burping and a little bit of mucus. Oh yes and back ache that never seems to go away. I have had nausea for about three or four days now. I too suffer from anxiety and have been on sertraline Zoloft) since mid September.Here I thought I was the only one and was beginning to think it was the flu or just in my head. Well it is a comfort to know that there are others out there just like me and that I can talk too. With the amount of people with these symtoms you think they would be able to help us. I have an apt. with my Dr. in the new year and will see what she can do for me.Bye for now!Lissy

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had my IBS under good control over 15 yrs just by watching my diet. When I started in with the really bad symptoms last summer at first I thought, "It must be something I ate." When I didn't get better I was getting worried it was food poisoning (I had been at a sports banquet). I was about to go to the dr. when everyone else at work got sick too. So I knew - WE had the flu. I figured I had started it, and I won't bother going to the doc for the flu. Then everyone else got better and I was still sick. By then the pain was getting unbearable. And I looked as bad as I felt. Everyone else was begining to think 'cancer'. And I had to admit - either it was A: cancer or B: something had gone wrong with every system in my body. The short story - it was adhesions causing major damage to ALL my insides. What I find amazing is the mind play I did trying to convince myself all along, that there was a rationale "easy" answer. And in the end when I was at my absolute worse, I really didn't think "B" would turn out to be the rationale answer.I think eventually, in the end, I will just "think" myself to death.It is amazing what we do, and sometimes don't, worry about. I was in an accute state for two months before I decided I had to go to a doctor. And that happened because my bosses sent me home and insisted I not come back until I was well! Their exact words? "You have benefits - now use them". I went to the doc that afternoon. That was five months ago. I'm almost out of benefits and I'm still not well. (If I can "pass" my next kidney test on Jan. 2, there is hope!)I've been labled a hypochondriac a few times in my life. And I have always proven them wrong, but at what price? I'm so afraid of being wrong - maybe I just THINK I'm sick - that I will probably die at some point, because I hesitated. Food for thought on thinking......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new also and you are not alone in thinking you had cancer i thought as such but after tests was found i had a healthy bowel, i suffer from anxiety attacks and stress and this can make the symptoms much worse at times ..and no it is not silly to be scared of doctors many people feel intimidated by them and often come out forgetting most of what they wanted to say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Maryr, I understand how you feel. I have a post on page 2 but only 1 reply. it's under my name. Please look at it. Anyone else I'd appreciate your input. Anyway my husband goes tomorrow for his colonoscopy and I am really , really, trying to overcome my fears. Kim

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lissy...The intestines can remain sensitive for about 6 weeks after a stomach flu or something.. IBS happens when you are under stress and get flu, then it doesn't go away. Eric has post some good articles on it. I would give it time, and not worry about it right now. Also, zoloft can cause diarrhea, that may be the source of your problem. Good luck,ben

·
Registered
86 Posts
hi lissyi just had to but in for a minute to defend zoloft...it may cause diarreah but side-effects generally go away at the beggining of treatment..since you have been taking it since september it seems like it should only be helping you now...have you noticed a decrease in your anxiety from taking it? if not you may need to have your dr. raise your dose....just 2 cents from a fan of zoloftmm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the advice Ben and MM. A few hours after posting my message on the 19th I was hit again. Had to run about every 20 minutes or so for most of the night. Better today, just cramps etc, but no d. I think it�s because I haven�t eatten much lately, been too scared...keeping it very light. MM you�re right, I am not throwing in the towel yet with the Zoloft. Dr. told me to wait until boxing day before increasing my dose, just in case, that way hopefully it won�t spoil my Christmas seeing as I am doing the cooking and can�t be in two places at once���.
Happy Holidays Everyone,Bye for now!Lissy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.