Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS type C for over 2 years now (verified with a colonoscopy that revealed nothing "really " wrong with my piping.) I exercise (aerobically and anaerobically, eat a lowfat, virtually dairy-free diet, drink lots of water per day, and take an herb called MPS-Gold which is a compressed part of the aloe plant (natural laxative, odorless, tasteless, immunity-building)in the morning to help start my engine. My stress level is high to ridiculous, however,and I can't seem to find a happy medium for relief. One day I can eat ice cream and pizza (rarely) and feel great, and the next day I can eat oat bran and tunafish and feel like I'm carrying bricks in my gut. If I read one more book on IBS diet, stress reduction, or exercise, I'm liable to go berserk. Aside from performing hara-kiri, has anyone found anything that alleviated the symptoms without the use of weights, yoga, or rice cake diets? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Besides trying to get the stress level down - which is difficult, but may be the reason why nothing is working for you because the stress seems to 'override' it, you could try magnesium supplements. That has helped me tremendously. I take over the RDA of 400mg (with my docs permission - around 750mg) of magnesium oxide. Some have found good results with other forms of magnesium, but this is the best for me. I either take with breakfast or lunch, but never on an empty stomach.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Besides trying to get the stress level down - which is difficult, but may be the reason why nothing is working for you because the stress seems to 'override' it, you could try magnesium supplements. That has helped me tremendously. I take over the RDA of 400mg (with my docs permission - around 750mg) of magnesium oxide. Some have found good results with other forms of magnesium, but this is the best for me. I either take with breakfast or lunch, but never on an empty stomach.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank u for the prompt responses. I am scheduled for a digital (virtual colonoscopy) after Labor Day to make sure nothing has changed from my first test, after which I will consult my GI (GE) about magnesium supplementation. As far as stress reduction goes, I'm a long way off and with the lack of sleep IBS brings on with the nighttime cramping and gas, I agree that it's overriding any measures I'm taking to overcome this "syndrome". I'll keep u posted of the results of my test (supposedly this is the newest technology being used for colonoscopies; less pain, no sedation). Thanks again for the guidance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank u for the prompt responses. I am scheduled for a digital (virtual colonoscopy) after Labor Day to make sure nothing has changed from my first test, after which I will consult my GI (GE) about magnesium supplementation. As far as stress reduction goes, I'm a long way off and with the lack of sleep IBS brings on with the nighttime cramping and gas, I agree that it's overriding any measures I'm taking to overcome this "syndrome". I'll keep u posted of the results of my test (supposedly this is the newest technology being used for colonoscopies; less pain, no sedation). Thanks again for the guidance.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Good luck with the colonoscopy. Will be waiting to hear how everything goes.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Good luck with the colonoscopy. Will be waiting to hear how everything goes.Ty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.