Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all: I can't tolerate this any longer--really!! Sorry but just need to vent, and also--need an advice, desperately! I really don't know what to do any longer. seems that I've tried everything, mental and physical tricks, but nothing seems to work. I just cannot seem to break the habit of waking up in the middle of the night and eating!! I am really worried because this not only wares me out and makes my days a living hell but also because I've put on quite a few pounds over the past year or so while doing so. I am not sure whether it's the stress and IBS that cause me to do this or vice versa but whatever it is, it just has got to stop!! But how?What happens is the following: I have dinner around 8 or so, go to bed around 11 (often still making mental notes about my day, I admit it), and then, after an hour or so of a seemingly restful sleep, I wake up suddenly, literally storm out of my bed, and head straight to my fridge. I'll eat just about anything I find but I've noticed that I usually go for heavy-duty carbs. Just lovely for my figure, I know!!! While eating, I don't feel like myself. I feel like a zombie who's only semi-conscious of the crime. Once done with my session, however, I feel like ####. Actually, I start feeling like #### sometime toward the end of my fiesta and then I go to bed miserable and in almost physical pain. In the morning I wake up not only hating myself but also wake up with a 'stormy' stomach which can be calmed only by having food--usually carby food like corn muffins, etc. Awful, I tell you, just awful!!!Am I the only one? Does this happen to anybody else? Please tell me!!I am very self-consious of my looks and to be putting all this weight is a horrific thought for me. I am a regular gym goer and am pretty athletic. The good thing is that I am tall and used to be very skinny until a year ago so extra pounds really don't show much if at all. But I definitely feel them and despise them!!! Any ideas as to how to stop this? will love you dearly for any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi! Sounds like stress is possibly playing a role in this. I am a stress eater, so I have to keep easy to grab snacks totally out of my house. No chips, cookies, or anything like that. My husband (the one with IBS) is trying to eat better, so we just keep the temptation away. If you don't have the food in your fridge, you can't eat it. Keep fruit and veggies in the fridge for snacks...I know it's hard, but it will definitely help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just recently diagonosed. I asked the gastro what type of diet I should follow and he said when I had flare ups ( like every day ) to note what I had the evening or day before. There must be a better way! What works best for others. I am very flexible with what I can eat, I like just about everything. Are there things i should avoid? Should I be eating more of other things? Any suggestions. My HMO is driving me nutz. They are more concerned with cost the Health. Can anyone help me with ideas.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Welcome mekmek and Tony. Mekmek you aren't alone in getting up for food. I do each and every night. My theory is that it's more of a habit than the actual need for food. I was up about twice last night, 4am I was eating Christmas cake in bed! I always have to have supper in bed and then I'm up eating. Probably not a good idea as the poor old tum gets no rest at all. As far as my weight is concerned, I've always been on the slim side but recently have put on weight which I could do with.Tony, yes a food diary can help. Everyone is different, what triggers one person might not trigger another. It really is trial and error.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I think i eat a LOT to make myself feel better, and it does work, when im eating im happy, i think of nothing only the food i am consuming, nothing can hurt me, well i have never seen a flying pork chop,i crave food because it blots out horrific things from my past..if i am not eating i feel totally pissed off, its not a cop out i honestly do think food helps me take my mind off other stuff..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I saw something like this on a newsy program not that long ago! Do you realise while you are eating that you are eating or is it only afterwards? The lady on the current affair program didn't know she was eating and kinda "woke up" once her binge was over and then she'd realise what she'd done. Turned out it was a form of sleep walking and she had some hypnosis sessions and doesn't do it anymore. It was totally bizarre! I eat at bedtime, it's ridiculous and out of control but my doctor says it's an eating disorder. I comfort eat at bedtime. Not good for the figure either really

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks you all! yet--it probably is stress/emotional eating. when it first started happening, there were times when i was completely unaware of having eaten anything til about mid-day tomorrow. as Screamer put it, very bizzare! Screamer, hey--so hypnosis worked for that woman, hmm? it's definitely something to look in. am going to bed tonite feeling confident not to get up!

G

·
You what!!!! You call them sarnies down in Surrey - how fascinating!! Thought that was a very Northern thing.How are you Lisa? How are the neighbours from hell (I have got the right lady haven't I - sorry been a long morning at work!!).Sue

·
Banned
415 Posts
Grandad was from St. Helens!!! His brother lives on the Isle of Mann. I have are great northern accent when i want!! So the sarny thing may just be my family!!I'm ok sue, suffering a bit as could not say no to a battered sausage yestaerday... or a bageete or a bag of revels...oh well!! My fault, can't moan!! The neighbour from hell is having a new bathroom fitted next week! Oooohhhhh! Can i wait? I think so!! Ignorant bleeepy bleep bleep!How you doing sue? How's the lovly Milo?

G

·
Small world - my maiden name was Callow - the Smith of the Isle of Man - my darling dad is from Peel (83 next month bless him).Sorry to hear about the neighbour - hope the suite is avocardo and absolutely horrible.The lovely Milo is bazzin' thanks but not much exercise this week as I've been busy at work and on a 1-day course in the city centre so will have to make up for that with a good walkies tomoz.Ooooh Revels - bliss. My boss and I were discussing the merits of garlic bread (garlic bread, garlic bread - sorry are you a Peter Kaye fan???).Take careSue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.