Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I know there have been a million posts already about alcohol, but I just have a little question. I have a mixture of IBS-C and D, and about a month ago I gave up alcohol because it was causing some wind while I drank it and then major D and some cramps the next day. Am considering reintroducing one drink at a time to see if I can maybe find a particular type of alcohol that doesn't cause these probs. And I was just wondering what kind of drink (if any) do any of you find that you can drink without it affecting your stomachs? Or even the other way around, which drinks are the worst? Thanks!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
All Alcohol causes osmotic d.Moderation is a key here really. Its basically not a good idea to drink really at all, but people are human and they do and sometimes it may even make you feel a little better.Once in a great while I will have a seven and seven though. Alcohol also messes with the bodies serotonin, which is also problem in IBS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi kiki,As a general rule of thumb, the darker the liquor, the more it causes a hangover, which usually makes IBS-D worse. I would try small amounts of lighter alcohol. White wine in moderation works for me, as Eric mentioned moderation is the key. Remember if you over-endulge a bit
don't over-compensate the next morning with a couple of extra cups of coffee
like I do!!Good Luck and have fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love vodka. That's all I ever used to drink - so maybe that's why it affected my stomach so much. Never realy drink wine, so might give that a try first. I know I'll probably end up not having to steer clear of all alcohol, but it's worth a try! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Vodka is safest for me, I can usually drink a few shots and be OK the next morning. Maybe becasue it contains no additives/flavourings.I prefer white wine to red, though both usually give me d the next day. Beware of cheap red wine!I thought drinking 3 glasses of champayne would have a bad result (all the bubbles) but strangely I was fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.