Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post about alcohol, as this seems to be a very popular issue with us young'uns. This is what Kmottus (a member of the BB) said about alcohol a while back.
quote:Your mileage may vary with alcohol.Alcohol tends to loosen up the stools of people pretty much in general. Not just IBSers. Some people without IBS tend to get diarrhea as a result of drinking.How much this effects you will vary. For constipation prone people this effect may be helpful.Different people find different drinks bother them more than other. If carbonated soft drinks bother you, then carbonated hard drinks are likely to be a problem.Fruity drinks may bother you if the sugars found in fruits bother you.
http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...ic;f=1;t=029150 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...ic;f=1;t=028855 There have been hundreds of threads about Alcohol on here, these are just a couple of them.In my experience, i do much better on clear alcoholic liquids. Not the heavy ones like bourbon and tia maria. I find White Wine is fine for me.Bitters (ex. London Pride) and Ciders have a bit of a laxative effect anyway, so if you are a D type these probably won't help all that much. Also, guinness can give the most regular drinkers problems the next day also. This is just going on my own experiences so don't take this as gospel. This is just what i have experineced. You will pretty much need to experiment on your own to see what does and doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks for posting Kmottus' info.I wonder if which drinks are more problematic IBS wise is an individual thing or a general thing? (guess we'll find out as this thread progresses!). White wine is a real problem for my IBS symptoms. And kmottus is so right about Cider! Red wine is fine for me. I seem to do fine on spirits (I drink mainly whisky) and ale. Some days though, after a night out and a few drinks, I can be persuaded to get a kebab on the way home, or some fish and chips which are far worse for my IBS than a whole pub full of alcoholic drink is!
(this is all from memory, I don't really drink now).

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You see, thats funny, because i do much better on White Wine and ale is just a NO! Cider im kinda ok on as long as i don't drink too much.Your so right, its the kebabs afterwards that mess me up! lol.Thanks for posting Susan. Come over here more often!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bumperdoodles!
Hmm, thinking about feeling better the next day...its a tough one. Its pretty much hangover cures you are looking for i think. There is always the old hair of the dog idea- but i wouldn't go there
.The best cure for it would be to drink water before you go to bed. I normally drink a couple of pints before i go to bed of water. Also, try not to drink too much alcohol either. Everything in moderation!Spliffy

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to be a moderate drinker and thanks to all the help I have received from members over the last year, I have identified my food allergies and gradually became free from my IBS D problems -almost forgot I even had IBS
That is until I ran out of work Mid Jan this year,with very little prospect of any work for quite a few months - I decided to stop - full stop.Bad mistake - I had 2 weeks of shear hell with constipation
I have since found that going out just twice a week for 2 lagers has redressed the balance and thankfully my bowels are back to normal. And HEY when I do go out for those drinks, they taste so much better and I realy enjoy them.However, I do not think it right that I should drink to keep my bowels in order, so I have booked an appointment with my doctor for tommorrow night to see what he says. Although I do enjoy my 2 outings a week, I felt so much better as a person with no alcohol in me at all and will gladly give it up for say a mild laxative.?Any other members had similar experiences?Kind regards,Dave.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never had much of a problem with IBS and alcohol, unless I was feeling bad in the first place it just makes it a little bit worse. I was never a huge drinker though, only ever have two-three drinks in an evening usually, so I can't speak to drinking a lot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man all the talk about chips man I just want to say, I miss chips from the UK. Iv I didn't move to America theres no way I would stop eating those chips, definately hoops I think thats what they were called. Memory must be on the way out. Or sweets like Cadburry's flake and so on. Okay im making myself sick just thinking about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drink and get drunk now and then.. sometimes it hurts me the day after, sometimes it dont. Sometimes I get so bloated I have to stop after a drink or two of beer. There is no pattern with me so I said the hell with it and did what I please, and suffer now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After I got IBS and had a really rough summer (sick all the time, lost weight because I couldn't eat), I cut out all sorts of triggers, including alcohol. Not much of a big drinker to begin with (not since college), but I did miss having one or two every now and again. My brother, the big beer conniseur (sp?), bless his heart, went out of his way to find me a drink my tummy could tolerate. Starting with vodka, since that's the most pure alcohol, we added cranberry juice to make a Cape Cod. (No screwdrivers for me; OJ is too acidic.) That's now my "drink of choice", and I can even have two or three on a good night without my tummy reacting adversely. Yay for brothers!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My alcohol tolerance has gone way down since I got crohn's. Part of it has to do with the meds I'm on. There's an antibiotic that I sometimes have to take that they give to alcoholics sometimes to keep them from drinking
When I'm not on that thing, I can handle about 4 drinks. I can't drink hard liquor any more (bummer), beer I can sort of handle, but strangely I can drink red wine ALL night. It's the weirdest thing. If I drink 4 beers I wake up the next day like I had 12 martinis. But I can drink a bottle of red wine without any problems.I don't claim to get it. It's just a matter of finding what works for you.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.