Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alcohol has triggered my IBS frequently, one red wine or one beer can do it.Cramps, gas and D follow.My IBS got progressively worse, both in frequency and in pain.The pain at times was truly unbearable.Now I am on dicitel medication since 3 yrs.Frequency went down, and the cramps are now pain lvl 7 instead of 10.I stopped drinking alchol... It is just jot worth it.Frankly, if you cannot have a great time without being drunk, there is something wrong anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alcohol... Oh, I miss being able to drink without worrying. WEll... I usually don't have any problems during the night only in the next day. The weird thing is that past July I drank almost everyday and had... Nothing! Nothing at all!!! I was starting to belive I had in some magical way become cured. But nope. My IBS-D came back.Still... It was fun to have a whole month during vacations to do as I pleased.Beer is the best thing for me, really. Vodka, wine, rum and other things usually make me very sick the next day. But there is none descernible patern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alcohol... Oh, I miss being able to drink without worrying. WEll... I usually don't have any problems during the night only in the next day. The weird thing is that past July I drank almost everyday and had... Nothing! Nothing at all!!! I was starting to belive I had in some magical way become cured. But nope. My IBS-D came back.Still... It was fun to have a whole month during vacations to do as I pleased.Beer is the best thing for me, really. Vodka, wine, rum and other things usually make me very sick the next day. But there is none descernible patern.
I've found I can drink stuff on/during holidays as well! I suspect it may be a stess related thing as during the holidays I tend to be very relaxed...If only I could be that relaxed all the time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, first post yay! I just got back from Cancun on spring break. So lots of drinking then. I was fine till about the 4th day and I have IBS-A but man I had to stay in my room the whole day cause I just felt nasty! I'm home now and still feeling gross. Do people find alcohol in general to be a trigger? Or just drinks with sugars and beers?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The worst part with alcohol IBS-wise are the hangovers. Waking up hungover makes my IBS go wild. So I avoid getting very drunk, in order to not get a hangover the next day. I usually manage this, as I only need a small quantity of alcohol to get a buzz (my tolerance is very low) and I'm content with the effects of even small doses. Some other times, like last New Year's Eve, after a whole night of wine and caffeine pills (for some reason, I believed the "upper" effect I get from the pills could combine nicely with the alcohol - huge mistake, as they cancelled each other and I always had the impression that I was sober when in fact I wasn't, so I kept taking more of both), the next morning I had to face hell. Never again...Other than that, I'm usually fine with alcohol, but I never take it on an empty stomach. Beer is a no-no. Wine is good for me and I have no problem with liquor. My go-to drink is usually a Baccardi Breezer. For all its carbonation, I'm fine with it and it gives me just the buzz I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,I had one of the best colons I was able to stop my poo 2 days in case of travel and could have even 3 bm per day at will.But from last 2 years i became alcoholic and now i have been daignosed with IBS i do believe its due to alcohol.Any suggestions..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i'm a 20 year old uni student who has recently (6 months) been diagnosed with IBS. But I've started to notice that I now don't tolerate alcohol very well. I'm generally fine whilst drinking but the next day, i get bad cramps, spasms and a lot more frequent toilet trips. This happens even if i only have like 2 drinks. I'm normally a spirit drinking, vodka and whisky, but I was wondering if anyone had suggests of any types of alcohol that are less likely to cause problems as its really annoying being at uni and not being able to drink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi i'm a 20 year old uni student who has recently (6 months) been diagnosed with IBS. But I've started to notice that I now don't tolerate alcohol very well. I'm generally fine whilst drinking but the next day, i get bad cramps, spasms and a lot more frequent toilet trips. This happens even if i only have like 2 drinks. I'm normally a spirit drinking, vodka and whisky, but I was wondering if anyone had suggests of any types of alcohol that are less likely to cause problems as its really annoying being at uni and not being able to drink.
As everything else, it is diferent for each person, I think. If I don´t mix my drinks I usually don´t get that bad on the next day (altough I always tend to have a bit of a diarheia). Have you tried taking immolium before drinking? For me, half a pill (of 2mg) will do it. But some people need more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe the worst(or best?) thing about IBS is the way it "interfers" with the buzz with even mild symtoms. Everything great about getting drunk is ruined. I get a mild headache, mild dizziness, yet can still drink. It just isn't quite the same when "IBS free" though.

You really don't want to drink anymore. The good effects are gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello! So I'm new here i just found this site today! I am 23 and have suffered from a mix of ibs-d and ibs-c for years but the past year and a half it's become a daily issue to where im in pain all day everyday and either need to run to a restroom or not be able to go while dealing with the gas and cramps all day and night so makes me hide away at home and have to deny invitations to go out because it extremely effects my social life and is extremely embarrassing!! I I went through a yr of drs appts and tests with no help except finding out I have extreme inflammation with no plan to help and diagnosed with ibs so to pretty much stop being stressed and sorry for ya! Instead of dealing with it and eating what i want while partying every weekend and being miserable I went to a nutritionist about a month ago and she has been great and very helpful but I had to quit drinking and completely change my diet to no wheat, dairy, gluten, or sugar while only eating soft foods like soup for lunch and dinner, eggs and protein shakes for breakfast and a snack to heal my body and decrease inflammation! I'm happy to be finally getting proper help and on the road to recovery but I know i wont ever be on a normal diet or be able to drink and have to deal with this for the rest of my life! I can't help but be depressed at the whole situation that I can't drink and party with my friends like I used to or even go out to eat at most places and do normal social activities because I'm so restricted! I'm trying to keep positive but it gets so depressing when everyone around you can do it and you can't and I just wish i had someone my age to talk to about it who understands what I'm going thru from experience and knows how I feel! How to stay positive in a great but depressing situation?! I'm happy to be healthy and sooo happy to be getting some relief because its even more depressing and emberrasing to have to deal with it on a daily basis and I'm also getting used to the diet but how to deal with going out and not being emberrassed that i have a restricted diet and cant eat at most places plus have to order a very restrcited meal and how to deal with not getting depressed when i go out and cant drink or party like i used to while still having fun? It's so great to be getting help I'm just having trouble with the social side of it that I miss since I was always the fun, cute, outgoing girl who loved to party!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would just like to have a quick little rant here :p So, after reading this thread I made a video blog on this topic (it is posted on my blog) with as many tips as I could think of. I really liked it, and thought it might helps the younger IBS sufferers out, so I posted everywhere, including another support group site. I have only belonged to that site for a few weeks, and the people there are NOT as welcoming and nice as the people here (I've been on this one for a couple years). This lady commented on my video, bashing me for encouraging people to drink and that NOBODY with IBS should EVER have alcohol. LADY, I AM 23 YEARS OLD. If I want to have a drink, I'm gonna! K rant over :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Going off of what rellybelly17 said, as young people I think we shouldn't let IBS control our lives. It is ok to go out and have a little fun sometimes. In fact, since I have had IBS-C, my best movements have been when I have had the most fun, sometimes even forgetting I have IBS.

But in terms of alcohol and drugs, if you wish to partake in it, it is very important to do you best and maintain your health. Keep doing what works for you, whether it be exercise and diet, keep well hydrated no matter what the event or drug, and always always always do whatever you are doing in moderation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alcohol has been proven to be of the biggest IBS food/substance triggers, because it can act as a direct gut lining irritant. And yes, just like some people's experience here, sometimes one type of alcohol is worse than others, but for some, any alcoholic drink is an issue. Sometimes just having one serving with a meal that is easy to tolerate (ie. food that has no IBS food triggers in it) reduces the problem, and can let you enjoy a drink out socially without having a surprise symptom attack.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.