Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Varies with the medication, and can vary from individual to individual as well.Anything that has a tendancy to slow you down can interact badly with alcohol Often it is a 1+1=8 reaction (bascially that the interact synergistically to cause a reaction great than what you would expect).How much the drug and the alcohol interact may vary from person to person (some people are just effected more by alcohol even when it is alone).The problems tend to be much worse with heavy drinking than with someone who has just a glass of wine with dinner. Especially because usually the drunker you get, the less ability you have to realize you are past the danger point.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Varies with the medication, and can vary from individual to individual as well.Anything that has a tendancy to slow you down can interact badly with alcohol Often it is a 1+1=8 reaction (bascially that the interact synergistically to cause a reaction great than what you would expect).How much the drug and the alcohol interact may vary from person to person (some people are just effected more by alcohol even when it is alone).The problems tend to be much worse with heavy drinking than with someone who has just a glass of wine with dinner. Especially because usually the drunker you get, the less ability you have to realize you are past the danger point.K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,Read the patient information leaflet (you probably have) and or plug the drug into the internet and you will find sites that list interactions. Some drugs are inactivated by alcohol.Excess alcohol will increase IBS symptoms, so you'll probably be overiding the "power" of the pill anyway!I go on the basis that if I drink on medication I will get drunk quicker and therefore, I am a lot more aware of how I feel and drink very sensibly (I'm a classic British binge drinker normally). I often consult the pharmacist who dispenses me the drug or ask the doctor.I'm sure a glass or two of wine will be fine (but its your choice please do not sue me! he he)Ems

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,Read the patient information leaflet (you probably have) and or plug the drug into the internet and you will find sites that list interactions. Some drugs are inactivated by alcohol.Excess alcohol will increase IBS symptoms, so you'll probably be overiding the "power" of the pill anyway!I go on the basis that if I drink on medication I will get drunk quicker and therefore, I am a lot more aware of how I feel and drink very sensibly (I'm a classic British binge drinker normally). I often consult the pharmacist who dispenses me the drug or ask the doctor.I'm sure a glass or two of wine will be fine (but its your choice please do not sue me! he he)Ems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.