Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://biology.about.com/library/weekly/aa010104a.htm says they are usually over by about 24 hours. but if you really disrupted sleep patterns it might mess you up the next day (and I don't know when the timing starts, if you were drunk enough you may need to start the count down many hours after you stopped drinking as you were still drunk for quite a while).K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've also had non-stop gurggling in my stomach and diahrea. I've only had about a total of 13 hours of sleep the last two days. I think alchol migth have made me feel this way. Thanks Kath M. I love when you are on.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not trying to be flip, but I've noticed the older I get the longer the after effects of a hangover last. When I was young I could drink all night,sleep a couple hours, and function the next day like nothing happened. Now I feel the effects for up to 3 days.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have 24-48 hour hangovers where I basically lie in bed for that length of time feeling nauseous and having diarrhea. They are so bad that I limit getting drunk to only twice a year. I attributed the extreme hangovers to my IBS-D. I have always had hangovers like this from when I was younger to now. But alcohol is a toxin!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Alcohol is toxic to anyone with IBS. I used to use wine as a cheap sedative, but it got to a point where one swallow would cause acid reflex reaction, and I'd get terrible heartburn and then my stool would turn to the Mississippi (brown water). I have touched a drop in about a year, and I don't miss it at all. But I am 53, so there is no social pressure to drink. At my age, if you say "NO!" to an offer for alcohol, folks respect it because they think you might be a recovering alcoholic. Young folks probably feel more pressure.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For me Alcohol would be a great help for IBS. Of course if I drink too much I get a hangover, but in small doses I have no problem with D or urgency whatsoever. Unfortunately it would not be an acceptable treatmetn for IBS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
sickofbeingsick22do you know that alcohol is really bad for anyone with depression and you said you are taking meds for it which should never be mixed with alcohol.Combine that with IBS and it's probably not a good idea to drink at all not to mention get really drunk.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Cathy 1,I know it is. It just sometimes make me feel good. I rarely ever drink but I've noticed lately that I've been wanting to. Now for the last two days I've been fatigued, horrible cramping and watery stools and the "urgency to go." Depression I think makes you think unclearly. I've noticed a big difference in myself. Lack of motivation it's really hard to try and do anything. I just quit another job as a Technical Consultant because it was just too much to handle. My husband is really worried. I told him that i need to work on getting better for a month and then I'll go back to work. My idea of getting better is going to my counselor everyday, running on my treadmill, cutting back on nicotine and eating better.I feel like I can say anything here which is very nice.Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let me give you some sound Advice. Stay Away From Alcohol, Period !!It is Not Good for Anyone with IBS, it has made me so sick to my stomach, that I am doubled over. It is worse if you are on meds, it's not worth it, Alcohol, dairy products, fatty foods, are your Arch Enemies when you have IBS. Remember that, I have stopped drinkin, only time I do, is if I go out to dinner, then maybe 1 strawberry margarita, frozen. After a while, you don't miss it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At first I felt I was depriving myself, since on the wknds my husband drinks, when we use to drink together on wknds. But now, after gettin sick time and time again, I finally just gave it up, my ibs isn't perfect,but I don't get the sharp painful abdominal pain, stomach distress I did get with drinkin alcohol.

G

·
Oh god - don't talk to me about hangovers - had a very jolly time back at Easter for my wee sister's 40th birthday - had to fly back from Ireland (and I HATE flying) hung over to the EYEBALLS couldn't eat a bloody thing - was delayed at Cork airport and there was only pistaccios to eat and I felt like the grim reaper for about 4 days!!!! I suppose I'm an old bag of 42 but it was rather depressing when I'd had such a brillo time (dancing about in an orange boiler suit and blue permed wig til 5.00am) - still in retrospect it was worth it!!!Happy daysSue

·
Registered
476 Posts
I unfortunately love going out and having a few bevvies, though nowaday I have to limit myself as not so much the hangover but the after effects from IBS are terrible. If I'm out drinking I usually findd towards the end of the night I'm legging it to the nearest toilet and it takes most of the next day for my D to calm down.I find a difference with what I drink, spirits are very bad for D and I have to avoid them in large quantities!

G

·
Fed Up - yes I'm better with cider than wine, particularly red which seems to aggravate horrible itching - perhaps my liver is packing in!!!Sue

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I remember back in the day, just last yr, this time I was hangin out at the pool having a few beers, until I started gettin sick the nxt day or that night, over and over again. I realized something was wrong. Now I stay away from the Beer,wine, and alcohol. It is your Enemy, Water is your friend.....and also I"m findin out Dairy products such as Ice Cream, Pudding, Creamer, are my enemies as well. IT sucks but what can I do.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It think it is unfair to label alcohol an enemy for anyone with IBS. It doesn't bother me at all and I've suffered for over 20 years with IBS. The key is moderation, just like anything else. My IBS is connected to anxiety and a couple drinks are a big help. Just remember we are all different, but I've read many other posts that say a couple glasses of wine are actually a big help. Too bad I can indulge at work!LOL

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree busha1, I can have a glass of wine or beer and feel relaxed. Sometimes I think it helps with digestion too. Everyone with IBS reacts differently to everything! If there was one cure-all none of use would be posting on this bb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.