Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just a quick question about alcohol. I have found that it makes me REALLY nauseous and upsets my stomach really badly for days. I have only drunk 3 times in the last 6 months (last night being the last time EVER). Do you find alcohol makes things worse, I know some people claim that it actually helps IBS. Please share any views or facts you may have. Thanks. Spencer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My own experience with alcohol is that if I drink beer, in moderation, it does seem to settle my stomach some. Liqour has the opposite effect.IBS is a very strange condition. What has a negative effect on some of us, has no effect, or even a positive effect on others. Go figure.I have had IBS for over 21 years.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I can drink wine it seems and I am okay now...previously I could not. No hard alcohol though; and definitely no beer for me! (which is no hardship since I don't like it) Like anything; it depends on if I am stressed out how much will trigger an attack.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
If I drink and that is rare, I usally get d the next day and have a higher chance for pain. If I drink one or two beers, I get bloated and don't feel good, if I drink more I feel much better and the above probleems go away. I do think drinking in moderation, is okay for those it does not bother much and for those that booze does bother, they usally no it pretty quick.They do know that booze is connected to serotonin issues in the body."I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy"Just for some humor.1. Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." -- by Jack Handy 2. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -- Frank Sinatra 3. An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -- Ernest Hemingway 4. When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman 5. 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? -- Stephen Wright 6. When we drink, we get buzzed. When we get buzzed, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven! -- Brian O'Rourke 7. Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - - Benjamin Franklin 8. Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry 10. Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser. 11. To some it's a six-pack; to me it's a Support Group 12. Helping white men dance forever

·
Registered
182 Posts
Unfortunately alcohol wrecks me! I used to drink socially a few times a week but over the last year found it just wasn't worth it, especially as I'm no good at just having one drink, so I've given it up totally. I caved at christmas and the new year but it meant the whole of boxing day and new year's day was spent in the bathroom, pretty miserable. I don't find it reallt affects me until the next morning.

G

·
I can usually have a glass of wine in the evening without any issues. Sometimes I can even have a beer once in a while. I don't usually partake of hard liquor. I find that a bit of wine tends to help me digest my evening repast.Thanx Nikki and Eric for the helpful links.Evie

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to be able to drink a ridiculous large amount and have no hangover or ever get sick. Now if I get drunk I usually suffer with extreme abdominal pain, fatigue, inflammation for the next few days. This is usually from beer because that is all I have drank for the past 2 years. I'm on a strict celiac diet now because my blood tests were consantly positive so when I heal up a little my body should be able to tolerate things like wine and liquor better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.