Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

alcohol survey

732 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mdonbru 
#1 ·
I really enjoy a few drinks here and there. I am curious which type of alcohol everyone can best tolerate. Personally I have the most trouble with beer. Wine makes my nose run but is OK on the gut. Vodka I think is my best bet. I know the best thing is too avoid it but I'm not quite ready for that.Thanks,Pete

#2 ·
Hey Pete
Vodka is the best drink for me also...it does tend to make me a bit constipated but out of all the drinks vodka is my safest!A killer for me is champagne! The after affects of this lasts for many days after ive had this (assuming it was a generous amount, like a whole bottle). I have never been much of a beer drinker so im not sure how that would affect me. A doctor told me the 'healthiest' alcoholic beverage is a dry white wine.....but i've yet to try this!

#4 ·
I think everyone is different in what they can tolerate. I can do moderate amounts of wine - red or white, brandy, bourbon. I like vodka martinis but steer clear of them right now. Going overboard on anything though sets me off so I just try to keep the amount to a minimum - MOST of the time!

#5 ·
I can only drink wine. I usually drink red wine because they say it is the best thing to drink because of all the antioxidents in it. I have a low tolerance level now for vodka, rum, etc. so I stay away from all of them. Beer is okay, but it tends to make me feel bloated. I usually drink a glass of red wine almost every evening with dinner.

#6 ·
i'm a cider drinker which is a pain because its the drink that also makes my symptoms the worsed. its the high level of gas in it i presume. vodka in any drink seems to be what i handle best also. wonder why this is the same for a number of us?also for me it goes by quantity, if i have 4 pints i'm usually not to bad but as soon i have 6 or 7 disaster strikes.

#7 ·
most alcohol seems to affect my gut. the effect is slightly delayed, like 36 hours, so i can often convince myself it hasn't done any harm till the effects kick in. it seems to last a long time - 2-3 days - compared to some food reactions. that's my opinion, but all observation is subjective.

#9 ·
I used to not like alcohol until I drank vodka. Vodka is one of the few spirits that gives me a nice relaxing buzz. Beer gives me a different feeling but not much of a relaxing one.If I chug beer, this is one of the few times I'll get bloated. Drinking it normally doesn't do anything bad to my gut. At one time I was drinking a beer or two everyday, and my gut was acting better...but I don't really enjoy beer.Vodka + ice to crunch on + Limonada (Minute Maid's limeade drink) is my favorite drink. I heard that cheap vodka can give you a bad hangover, but I haven't noticed differences. If I drink too much after not drinking for some days, I get a slight hangover the next day. If I drink vodka every day, each day I get more tolerant and need more to reach a pleasant buzz. So ideally I drink 1-2 days out of the week.Anybody heard the phrase: Beer before liquor, never been sicker... Is this generally true?skinny

#11 ·
You are correct that the antioxidants are from the grapes. I don't think anyone would think it was from the alcohol. But, if you are going to have a drink, I think it is better to drink something that has something good in it. There is also research that shows that drinking a glass or two of red wine each day helps reduce the risks of heart disease and stroke.

#13 ·
Vodka seems to be ok for me, too. I mix it with grapefruit juice or cranberry juice. I can only have 2 of these before the juice starts to hurt my gut. I can have more vodka in martini form, not mixed with juice. I LOVE beer and wine - beer is ok in moderation, and actually makes me feel alittle better if I stick to 1 or 2. More than that and I am asking for a blowout the next day. Same with wine. Actually, it's plain to me that I can drink almost anything as long as I don't overdo it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.