Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out drinking last night for the first time in a loooong time and a very odd thing happened to me.I woke up this morning (and I hate myself for what I did because it's a beautiful day out and I feel like ####), and I had a perfectly NORMAL stool. It was normal in size, consistency, and shape. Absolutely no incomplete evacuation either ( stool was very clean and I didn't need to use half a toilet paper roll to wipe- sorry TMI). This is the first time in a LONG time that this has happened! It's also the first time in a LONG time that I have gotten drunk. Coincidence?????? Anyway, I find this odd, and for obvious reasons it's not something that's likely to repeat itself... but it's interesting. I have been ultra-healthy for a long time now: eating all the right foods, exercising every day, etc. but my symptoms have not improved until a night of binge drinking= ???Anyone else ever have this happen after drinking?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Typically alcohol loosens stools, but some people get enough of a break from the stress that they find the IBS is less after a relaxing night out.Also while alcohol can disrupt sleep cycles it can sometimes make someone sleep if they would normally have insomnia. A good amount of lower quality sleep can be better than next to no sleep at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Alcohol has always had weird effects on my system. I should admit that it helps with anxiety and some "nervous gut" problems during it's time of action but the aftermath is somehow unpredictable. Sometimes it causess loose, sometimes normal stools but most of the times (even if the stools are normal) it wreaks havoc in my gut - pain everywhere, indigestion, heartburn and even feeling of inflamation, if I could call it this way.Generally, alcohol abuse is a bad practice when you have IBS or other GI disorders - it makes things worse.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I agree that it could have simply been the relaxing or letting go aspect of having some fun with a substance that allows you to let your guard down.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I agree Elizabeth. And Faze.. this may be a good sign that relaxation techniques, meditation, self hypno etc. might be things that really help you manage your symptoms!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys... you are probably right that it just helped me "let my guard down" and relax, although I really am not a person who is prone to stress, at least in a way that I am aware of. I don't often let my guard down though and maybe that's a form of stress. In other words I don't actually feel stressed, but maybe I am. Well, anyway, I don't drink all that much anymore except for the occasional glass of wine with dinner, so this will probably never happen again anyway, lol. I did feel nauseous, and had heartburn and a headache afterwards, so... yuck! Never again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts