Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS Gerd and I'm also lactose intolerant, What alcoholic beverage or cocktail can I drink without causing fare-ups Thanks...John

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depending on your IBS and GERD triggers it may be none.Alcohol doesn't just mess with the nerves in your head it can mess with the nerves in your gut. I think alcohol also relaxes the spincter at the top of the stomach and that can make GERD worse and would be an across the board thing as well.Typically those who can tolerate only some beverages seem to indicate the clear spirits, white wine. But many IBSers the problem is the alcohol and nothing in any beverage changes that.Mixers with fruit juices or carbonation (and beer) may upset IBS.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depending on your IBS and GERD triggers it may be none.Alcohol doesn't just mess with the nerves in your head it can mess with the nerves in your gut. I think alcohol also relaxes the spincter at the top of the stomach and that can make GERD worse and would be an across the board thing as well.Typically those who can tolerate only some beverages seem to indicate the clear spirits, white wine. But many IBSers the problem is the alcohol and nothing in any beverage changes that.Mixers with fruit juices or carbonation (and beer) may upset IBS.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have IBS and GERD. I take Prevacid for the GERD and I now have almost no symptoms. Before I took Prevacid any alcohol except beer did a number on me acid-wise especially wine. But now, I can drink pretty much anything in moderation. If I do go overboard, especially with wine my intestines tell me I've been bad. I seem to do best on beer or whiskey with no mixers, just water.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have IBS and GERD. I take Prevacid for the GERD and I now have almost no symptoms. Before I took Prevacid any alcohol except beer did a number on me acid-wise especially wine. But now, I can drink pretty much anything in moderation. If I do go overboard, especially with wine my intestines tell me I've been bad. I seem to do best on beer or whiskey with no mixers, just water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.