Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my rather graphic screen name, but honestly its how I feel...like I have a gutterbutt. I have IBS-D and have had it since I was 18 years old. It has progressively gotten worse as I have gotten older, either that or I just don't handle it as well as I use to. I was reading all different spots on this site and came across a suggestion of taking this probiotic called Align. I am wondering if anyone out there has tried it and what their experience is. Currently, I take Sertraline daily, and 1/2 of an Immodium every day to every other day, I also take Peppermint Oil/Ginger/Fennel capulates as needed (which is often). I am trying to find a balance as things have been getting unbearable again. At one point my doctor had me on like seven different medications to combat this and I received no relief. On my own I cut back to the Sertraline as the only prescribed med. Things have gotten so bad that my job could be in jeopardy, like I need more stress in life, so am wondering if this Align is worth trying or not. I am so tried of spending tons of money to try things that never seem to help or seem to make things worse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello GB- I started taking Align exactly 2 weeks ago. While I didn't have D all the time before, my symptoms have improved quite a bit. Things such as urgency, consistency and feeling incomplete after have all gotten better (maybe 40%). I believe I still have an underlying infection so things still aren't right, but they are improved. I have read that a fair percentage of people have success with Align but for many of these, it isn't lasting. I guess those whom it did last for are off enjoying themselves now and we don't hear from them on this forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Martin21, I think I will give it a try. Any help right now would be great! Perhaps one day we can find out what those people who did find relief are out doing...til then we'll just have to give this a shot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi GB
I have been taking Align for about a week, but I am also taking a steriod, Entocort.So far, things have been better, but Align only contains one kind of bacterea, and after a time, folks mayneed to change to another probiotic bacterea.There are some on the market like Primadophilus Optima which contains several different kinds of probiotic"bugs" plus it has a prebiotic mixed in to help feed and maintain the colony.I have ordered some of this, dont have it yet, because it is one of the highest rated probiotics on the market.Keep in mind though, there is no clinical evidence that this stuff actually does anything, but dont let that stop you
Google it, and you will find tons of info.Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi GB,I started taking Align a couple of weeks ago. I was miserable the first few days, but I stayed with it and as all the gunk started dieing off I began to feel better. LOTS better. I'd say 85% better at this point. I still have a bad day now and then but I think mostly it's triggered by stress or eating something that doesn't quite agree with me. If I have to take Align everyday for the rest of my life, oh well.....it's alot better than what life used to be like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi GB,I started taking Align a couple of weeks ago. I was miserable the first few days, but I stayed with it and as all the gunk started dieing off I began to feel better. LOTS better. I'd say 85% better at this point. I still have a bad day now and then but I think mostly it's triggered by stress or eating something that doesn't quite agree with me. If I have to take Align everyday for the rest of my life, oh well.....it's alot better than what life used to be like.
I think stress is the key, if you can get that under control with meds, you may have half the problem licked.Folks with IBS do go into remission with drug theropy sometimes, its a 50/50 #### shoot (pun intended!)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I think stress is the key, if you can get that under control with meds, you may have half the problem licked.
I was able to get my D under control with supplementation. The stress left on its own. While I had no idea of the anti-inflammatory nature of the flavonoids I take, that seems to be the key for my 11 year improvements. Fortunately, I have been able to avoid the pharmaceutical path in dealing with my anxieties, as well as my cholesterol and IBS, which I consider to be the best possible result in the world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please excuse my rather graphic screen name, but honestly its how I feel...like I have a gutterbutt. I have IBS-D and have had it since I was 18 years old. It has progressively gotten worse as I have gotten older, either that or I just don't handle it as well as I use to. I was reading all different spots on this site and came across a suggestion of taking this probiotic called Align. I am wondering if anyone out there has tried it and what their experience is. Currently, I take Sertraline daily, and 1/2 of an Immodium every day to every other day, I also take Peppermint Oil/Ginger/Fennel capulates as needed (which is often). I am trying to find a balance as things have been getting unbearable again. At one point my doctor had me on like seven different medications to combat this and I received no relief. On my own I cut back to the Sertraline as the only prescribed med. Things have gotten so bad that my job could be in jeopardy, like I need more stress in life, so am wondering if this Align is worth trying or not. I am so tried of spending tons of money to try things that never seem to help or seem to make things worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think there are better probiotics out there than Align. Align only has 1 Billion CFUs and is expensive.I have recently switched to TruNature 10Billion CFU. Costco online also has a chewable tablet for children. Check them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! This is going to be my first post/reply so here it goes.I've been taking Align for roughly 12 weeks... Weeks 1-2 still had urgency after every mealWeeks 3-10 GREAT! I could go out and eat and not have to worry about driving 70mph to get home! Awesome feeling that I've never been able to have.But these last two weeks it seems like I'm getting back to my usual IBS-D self... Maybe it's been my diet, or maybe it's stress that I've been going through.Either way, it worked long enough for me to have a taste of normal life! Well, whatever normal is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI!I work at a gastro so you would think I would be the last person to have stomach issues but unfortunately i do! I have had ibs or atleast thats what the doctor I work for thinks, anyway he advised me to try align, i took it everyday for 3 weeks and i seen improvement but after a few more weeks my symptons came back and i felt as if they were worse. Anyway,I spoke to the doctor and he recommended that I take align every other week in order for my body not to depend on it therefore causing it to be more effective. I tried that as well and so far i have had good results, but i have decided to stop align altogether even though it isnt really a form of medication i felt as if i didnt need it anymore..big mistake..i think i do and i am planning to go back on it. I would recommend align to anyone because it helped me alot, also due to my anxiety when going out to places, i would take imodium (causes constipation) and that helped during the time being but also once i took it too often i became constipated to the point where i couldnt do anything at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts