Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question. I have had IBS for more than 10 years. All pain has always been in the lower GI tract. Then recently, I had a really bad 3 month bout that included severe upper and lower GI problems. Upper being, lots of burping, chronic burning and pain in left side of chest. When the lower started to back off in severity, I figured the upper problems would follow suit. That has not been the case. I would say my upper GI symptoms are, at present, worse than the lower. Is this possible with IBS????

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I think it is and if I recall correctly Novartis has a clinical trial underway to see if Zelnorm will treat those symptoms.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I think it is and if I recall correctly Novartis has a clinical trial underway to see if Zelnorm will treat those symptoms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure whether pattern changes are usual with IBS, but I started the other way round. First with stomach problems and LOTS of belching and some burning. Then went to upper and lower of about the same intensity. Finally settled into IBS-D, and the upper GI problems "disappeared." I've also read a series of posts from others that suggest they've gone from upper to lower or lower to upper. Christian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure whether pattern changes are usual with IBS, but I started the other way round. First with stomach problems and LOTS of belching and some burning. Then went to upper and lower of about the same intensity. Finally settled into IBS-D, and the upper GI problems "disappeared." I've also read a series of posts from others that suggest they've gone from upper to lower or lower to upper. Christian

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Technically there shouldn't be upper GI symptoms with IBS. (although the pain and constipation of IBS in some people does seem to trigger nausea)There are a vast array of upper GI problems. Having IBS protects you from none of them. In some cases it seems that whatever makes people more susptible than others to IBS may also make them more suseptible to having upper GI problems (often the functional ones).Any time a new set of GI symptoms appear it is a good idea to trek back to the doctor to have the checked out even if you have IBS and even when you think it's just your IBS mutating.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Technically there shouldn't be upper GI symptoms with IBS. (although the pain and constipation of IBS in some people does seem to trigger nausea)There are a vast array of upper GI problems. Having IBS protects you from none of them. In some cases it seems that whatever makes people more susptible than others to IBS may also make them more suseptible to having upper GI problems (often the functional ones).Any time a new set of GI symptoms appear it is a good idea to trek back to the doctor to have the checked out even if you have IBS and even when you think it's just your IBS mutating.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.