Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I'm allergic to soy products and mostly make my own food from scratch to avoid them.I had already noticed when I ate cooked eggs I almost always got a tummyache (spasms and acid-like pain), so I had stopped doing that. Beginning last summer I didn't eat anything made with eggs for several months because it was too warm to bake. I made yeast breads with my bread machine instead.Then I made a salmon loaf with 2 eggs, eating some every day for 4 days (I froze it in individual portions). I was tired all week and the afternoon of the third day got a sinus headache that persisted for another 3 days. I recognized this as a food allergy reaction - I always get worse reactions to food than to environmental - and going over what I'd been eating found the only new thing was the eggs.Then I remembered I had tested positive for egg allergy as a child, but my "doctor" rationalized that cooked eggs would be ok for me, and my parents never taught me to avoid eating eggs.
Luckily there are some simple egg substitutes in Dr. B's book, and I've been able to make baked things with them. I've been egg-free for 2 weeks and feeling as good now as I did in those months when I coincidentally didn't eat any eggs. Also I've had a cold, but the congestion isn't nearly as bad as I usually get with colds. I suspect eggs are the reason I've had 2 sinus infections in the last year.
Hopefully no more!!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Julia....What an interesting post: ___________________________________"I was tired all week and the afternoon of the third day got a sinus headache that persisted for another 3 days. I recognized this as a food allergy reaction - I always get worse reactions to food than to environmental - and going over what I'd been eating found the only new thing was the eggs." __________________________________Everybody should study this carefully as it could be reflective of either a delayed hypersensitivity reaction or an allergic reaction with a mild initial reaction and mild late phase reaction. Intolerance need not manifest itself wholly in GI symptoms, but people with GI symptoms often have other systemic symptoms which many practitioners do not "connect the dots" to.Esp. when you followed up with: _________________________________"Then I remembered I had tested positive for egg allergy as a child, but my "doctor" rationalized that cooked eggs would be ok for me, and my parents never taught me to avoid eating eggs. " __________________________________Hmmm....now that is an interesting postulate, but I assume this was of course some time ago [without revealing age of course].What I am curious about is it solely an IgE egg allergy, or lecithin intolerance. Ever try removing ALL lecithin sources from the diet?Just diddling around mentally...MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Julia....What an interesting post: ___________________________________"I was tired all week and the afternoon of the third day got a sinus headache that persisted for another 3 days. I recognized this as a food allergy reaction - I always get worse reactions to food than to environmental - and going over what I'd been eating found the only new thing was the eggs." __________________________________Everybody should study this carefully as it could be reflective of either a delayed hypersensitivity reaction or an allergic reaction with a mild initial reaction and mild late phase reaction. Intolerance need not manifest itself wholly in GI symptoms, but people with GI symptoms often have other systemic symptoms which many practitioners do not "connect the dots" to.Esp. when you followed up with: _________________________________"Then I remembered I had tested positive for egg allergy as a child, but my "doctor" rationalized that cooked eggs would be ok for me, and my parents never taught me to avoid eating eggs. " __________________________________Hmmm....now that is an interesting postulate, but I assume this was of course some time ago [without revealing age of course].What I am curious about is it solely an IgE egg allergy, or lecithin intolerance. Ever try removing ALL lecithin sources from the diet?Just diddling around mentally...MNL

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, I just love your compliments! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My browser was broken and I was sick with bronchitis and didn't feel up to fixing it.As we discussed on another thread, I generally avoid foods with lecithin since it's usually made from soy. I don't usually eat kelp, the last time was before I knew about my soy allergy. So the answer to your question is, the only lecithin source in my diet was eggs. Hmmmm......I think a few years ago I tried taking kelp lecithin supplements but stopped because I didn't notice any effects, bad or good. Do you know which part of the egg contains lecithin? If I could try eating just the white or the yolk, that would answer this question. Meanwhile I've had good luck with using gelatin as a substitute in recipes. Thanks again Dr. B!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, I just love your compliments! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My browser was broken and I was sick with bronchitis and didn't feel up to fixing it.As we discussed on another thread, I generally avoid foods with lecithin since it's usually made from soy. I don't usually eat kelp, the last time was before I knew about my soy allergy. So the answer to your question is, the only lecithin source in my diet was eggs. Hmmmm......I think a few years ago I tried taking kelp lecithin supplements but stopped because I didn't notice any effects, bad or good. Do you know which part of the egg contains lecithin? If I could try eating just the white or the yolk, that would answer this question. Meanwhile I've had good luck with using gelatin as a substitute in recipes. Thanks again Dr. B!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.