Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I recently bought Aloe Vera Juice from Holland and Barratt (Colon Cleanse Detox) and I've been taking it for the last 4 days. I'm not sure if it's helps yet but I've not had any symptoms for 4 days now so maybe it's just a coincidence but maybe it's working!? Has anyone tried this and had success? I think it tastes pretty disgusting on its own so I've been putting it in my fruit juice to dilute it a bit!Hope to hear of some success stories!RachL xx

·
Registered
490 Posts
I also tried the Holland+Barrat aloe vera juice. I gulped it down from a tablespoon at first but the taste made me gag, so I mixed it with a glass of water.I'm not sure if it helped. I took it 3 times a day for a couple of weeks but I didn't notice much difference. And at £10 a bottle it's a bit beyond my student budget! I might try it again the next half-price sale they have- let me know if it works!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does any one know if it's safe to make your own aloe vera juice from the plant? I have a huge aloe vera plant on my windowsill and sometimes use the leaf sap on my skin eg. for sunburn.My friend insists you can liquidize a leaf in the blender and drink the juice, but I read somewhere you shouldn't ingest the stem cells as they're a powerful laxative??

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think you are right Sukie...... I know there are 2 kinds of aloe vera juice you can buy, one that makes you really go and one that doesn't have the laxative quality. Do a websearch for aloe vera juice and you will find plenty of information.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yep, it's the inner leaf gel (or "juice") that is the good stuff, the outer gel is a harsh laxative and will definately send you to the toilet.I used to take Aloe Vera, unfortunately it was great for 3 months, I almost felt like a normal human being but the effect wore off. Now I take it on and off, I'll take it for 3 months and give it a rest for 6 or so but it's never been as great as it was initially. Everyone is different however.

G

·
I also tried aloe vera juice recently, and felt NORMAL for the first time in a long time. But then I discovered that the latex in aloe vera juice is a stimulant laxative and you can get dependent on it if you take it regularly. Also, I talked to my doctor, who told me not to take it at all. He said it's bad for the bowel. Still, I take it (sparingly) every few weeks or so, particularly when nothing else seems to be working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got some Holland and Barratt aloe vera juice last week and mixing it with orange juice have been taking it 3 times a day! From friday until today (wed) i have had no pains or symptoms. its amazing. my stomach is a bit off today (i had some wine last night and assume thats the cause) but still the pain isnt as bad as normal. I hope this is gonna keep on working for me cos its the last resort!

·
Registered
184 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Screamer:Yep, it's the inner leaf gel (or "juice") that is the good stuff, the outer gel is a harsh laxative and will definately send you to the toilet.I used to take Aloe Vera, unfortunately it was great for 3 months, I almost felt like a normal human being but the effect wore off. Now I take it on and off, I'll take it for 3 months and give it a rest for 6 or so but it's never been as great as it was initially. Everyone is different however.
Guys...Does this Aloe Vera made with the good stuff(the inner leaf gl)? or Does it have the outer gel?This is the one I bought. Is it a safe to take?Nutritional Facts Pure Aloe Whole Leaf 32oz UPC 042608470106 Serving Size 2 fl oz (60mL) Servings Per Container 16 Amount Per Serving Calories 2 Calories from Fat 0 % Daily Values* Total Fat 0g 0% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 0mg 0% Potassium 3mg 0% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Sugars 0g Protein 0g Vitamin C 20%. Not a significant source of Calcium, Iron; Vitamin A or E. * Percent Daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet Ingredients PURE ORGANIC ALOE VERA AND 2% PURE ORGANIC ACEROLA CHERRY JUICE. (Excellent source of Natural Micro-Nutrients and Natural Vitamin C). Caution: This is a natural full strength Pure Aloe Juice. This is not a diluted product. For best taste results enjoy over ice or mix: one part Lakewood Puer Aloe Juice with 2 to 4 parts cold fruit juice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
International Journal of Clinical PracticeVolume 60 Page 1080 - September 2006doi:10.1111/j.1742-1241.2006.00980.xVolume 60 Issue 9 Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of aloe vera for irritable bowel syndromeK. DAVIS, S. PHILPOTT, D. KUMAR, M. MENDALLSummaryAloe vera (AV) is suggested to be beneficial in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, but no scientific trials exist to confirm this. We aim to assess the efficacy of AV on IBS in refractory secondary care patients. Patients with IBS were randomised to receive AV or matching placebo for a month. Symptoms were assessed at baseline, 1 and 3 months. Fifty-eight patients randomised, 49 completed the protocol to 1 month and 41 to 3 months. Eleven of thirty-one (35%) AV patients, and 6 of 27 (22%) placebo patients responded at 1 month (p = 0.763). Diarrhoea predominant patients showed a trend towards a response to treatment at 1 month (10/23 V 2/14, p = 0.07). There was no evidence that AV benefits patients with IBS. However, we could not rule out the possibility that improvement occurred in patients with diarrhoea or alternating IBS whilst taking AV. Further investigations are warranted in patients with diarrhoea predominant IBS, in a less complex group of patients.____Note that the evidence in this study was pretty weak. Better to figure out what is causing your IBS than to try and treat the symptoms. Unless your IBS is caused by a lack of AV in your diet, there is probably something else that needs to be found and addressed.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Abigail, it sounds to me that it would be the laxative aloe vera juice as it's the juice from the whole leaf so would be both inner gel and outer gel. Generally the "safe" one's state on the bottle that they are inner leaf gel (I don't know about the US but we have one available called "Lifestream" (brand) aloe vera which is the one I took.... lifestream aloe website

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been taking the Holland+Barrat 'Aloe Vera Colon Cleanse' tablets the last few weeks. I take 1 every night before I sleep (if I don't have BM in morning I'm scared to leave house in case I get D later). I have D most mornings (did before I started taking the aloe vera), these tablets just ensure I get it over with before I go out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.