Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently diagnosed with severe diverticulosis. After doing some reading on the subject, I figure I also have IBS and possible Chronic Fatique Syndrome.From what I read, the "gastro" doctors can only recommend "pills" in addition to the water and fiber, and the pills will not necessarily help you. They just drug you and have side effects.So I did some more research and decided to check out more of the Alternative Therapies.One site I found is by a guy in UK whose name is Dave Walton and his website is at www.overcomeibs.com. HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND THIS SITE and tried it ?? What he says makes sense, and I have found the same statements elsewhere so I do not think he is "off the wall". His fee is reasonable - I spend that much on a bottle of supplements.nancyneely###aol.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Nancy, first of all youu need to treat diver differently then IBS or CFS as it is an organic problem. You need to get a diagnoses of IBS and symptoms fit what is called the rome criteria. http://ibscrohns.about.com/library/weekly/aa101101a.htm We now Dave and he was on here, but he is misinformed on IBS, although there may be some practical information there.This is the top IBS center in the states for info. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ It is majorally important you go over all this with your doctor.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Nancy, first of all youu need to treat diver differently then IBS or CFS as it is an organic problem. You need to get a diagnoses of IBS and symptoms fit what is called the rome criteria. http://ibscrohns.about.com/library/weekly/aa101101a.htm We now Dave and he was on here, but he is misinformed on IBS, although there may be some practical information there.This is the top IBS center in the states for info. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ It is majorally important you go over all this with your doctor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nancy -I had never heard of this site until you posted it but I was interested as I also have IBS C/D and diverticulitis.I read the "free" portion of his site and I really don't think he has anything worth buying. It seems from his pitch that he advocates some sort of a food regime. It seems that you can get the same information free from other sources.As for your doctors and the IBS/diverticulosis, some are good and some are not so good but I agree with eric that you need physicians on these matters.IBS and diverticulosis are treated with the same theories (high fiber and lots of water plus exercise) as a general matter unless you are having a diverticulitis inflamation/infection episode. Then you need to seek a physician's care to get on antibiotics and also follow a liquid diet for a few days followed by a "low-residue" (read low fiber) until the inflamation/infection is cleared up.I have had IBS for over 25 years and diverticulitis for over 5 years. I have also had an emergency colon resection because a diverticular infection got out of hand and became a papaya sized infection adhered to my uterus.Good luck!loon

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nancy -I had never heard of this site until you posted it but I was interested as I also have IBS C/D and diverticulitis.I read the "free" portion of his site and I really don't think he has anything worth buying. It seems from his pitch that he advocates some sort of a food regime. It seems that you can get the same information free from other sources.As for your doctors and the IBS/diverticulosis, some are good and some are not so good but I agree with eric that you need physicians on these matters.IBS and diverticulosis are treated with the same theories (high fiber and lots of water plus exercise) as a general matter unless you are having a diverticulitis inflamation/infection episode. Then you need to seek a physician's care to get on antibiotics and also follow a liquid diet for a few days followed by a "low-residue" (read low fiber) until the inflamation/infection is cleared up.I have had IBS for over 25 years and diverticulitis for over 5 years. I have also had an emergency colon resection because a diverticular infection got out of hand and became a papaya sized infection adhered to my uterus.Good luck!loon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.