Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in a country where suppositories are not available either OTC or even on prescription. I have ordered some online but they've not arrived yet. So I want to know if anyone has a suggestion of an alternative way of getting an immediate BM? Yes I am asking if there is anything else you can put up there which will have the same effect?! Suppositories have been BY FAR the best treatment for me and although I do sometimes take osmotics when things get bad, I really would rather not as they have unpleasant side effects which glycerin does not.

Any suggestions please, I don't care how weird!

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
well, you could try an enema.....

hope you get the suppositories you ordered soon. good luck!

·
Registered
IBS-D
8 Posts
I'm amazed you get good results from a suppository as they don't stimulate fecal removal far up the colon tract. I get nothing from those. It begs the question, why the UK paranoia about suppositories?

Yes an enema is a reasonable solution. A Fleet enema is widely available. The solution is limited in volume. If you're uneasy about going there and want quick results, try magnesium citrate oral solution. Here in the States it's usually a 10 ounce bottle available in drug stores and even grocery stores. I did one for the first time last week. It worked well and relatively quickly, gave me about 8 toilet trips with a lot of gas release. It resulted in a flat stomach and I felt good. It lasted until the next day when my gassy bloated stomach and constipation returned in all its fury.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts