Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have had IBS-D for over 20 years. Until aprroximately 7 or 8 years ago, I was able to control it with diet alone for the most part. I had to finally go on Elavil...it worked 90% of the time for me, and when I did have flare ups. they were mild. Then, earlier this year, it just quit on me....increasing my dose did nothing. I spent 3 months without any meds, and seemed to be ok most of the time. Then, the D started back with a vengence, whenever I put anything in my mouth! So, off to the doctor I went....he put me on Levsil, which works pretty good, as long as I take one before I put any food in my mouth. (I tried to eat once without taking the pill, and I got the usual major D within 15 minutes!) The thing I don't like about this med is that it dries my mouth out so bad! I was wondering if there was something else I could take instead of Levsil that is not a script. It seems as if all foods are triggers...and, I also note that the D is worse if I am anxious. I have never been on any anti-anxiety meds though.Sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to try to make what I am saying clear...I hope I didn't make you all confused!
Any suggestions, ideas on what I can do?MJ

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark,I read your post on the link you provided. I have a real hard time swallowing meds...have had most of my life..I can't even swallow a small one-a day tab, without choking. Even tylenol caps don't wanna go down. I know that this is anxiety-related. But, I have never been treated for it, other than psychotherapy, which hasn't helped much.Eric,I have been in psychotherapy a number of times in my life, for various crises I was facing at the time. However, my IBS never got any better during these times. I did try hypnosis, but I guess I am not a good subject...could nevr get in the trance. During the past three years, all kinds of things have happened to me, that have made matters worse as far as the IBS goes. I was in therapy for a few months, but wasn't getting anywhere with it. I am at a point now, where I am afraid to eat, and, as a result, have started losing weight, (which I don't need, as I am thin already). The Levsin has stopped the bloating and gurgling, which is a good thing. But, as I said in my original post, my mouth gets so dry, it is uncomfortable, and affects my speech somewhat, and is embarrassing...I am a nurse, and have to interact with my patients (I do home care). So, I usually don't eat before seeing patients, or while I am working. This stuff (IBS) is getting more and more difficult for me to deal with.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark,I read your post on the link you provided. I have a real hard time swallowing meds...have had most of my life..I can't even swallow a small one-a day tab, without choking. Even tylenol caps don't wanna go down. I know that this is anxiety-related. But, I have never been treated for it, other than psychotherapy, which hasn't helped much.Eric,I have been in psychotherapy a number of times in my life, for various crises I was facing at the time. However, my IBS never got any better during these times. I did try hypnosis, but I guess I am not a good subject...could nevr get in the trance. During the past three years, all kinds of things have happened to me, that have made matters worse as far as the IBS goes. I was in therapy for a few months, but wasn't getting anywhere with it. I am at a point now, where I am afraid to eat, and, as a result, have started losing weight, (which I don't need, as I am thin already). The Levsin has stopped the bloating and gurgling, which is a good thing. But, as I said in my original post, my mouth gets so dry, it is uncomfortable, and affects my speech somewhat, and is embarrassing...I am a nurse, and have to interact with my patients (I do home care). So, I usually don't eat before seeing patients, or while I am working. This stuff (IBS) is getting more and more difficult for me to deal with.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The HT was an attempt to treat my anxiety. My psychologist told me that I am very hypervigilent and just couldn't let go enough to go into a trance. The psychotherapy was CBT, again, for my anxiety.Thank you for the links in your post...there is a lot of info there...I will read all of it. I wish physicians were more informed about IBS, and more supportive. Thank God for people like you!MJ

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The HT was an attempt to treat my anxiety. My psychologist told me that I am very hypervigilent and just couldn't let go enough to go into a trance. The psychotherapy was CBT, again, for my anxiety.Thank you for the links in your post...there is a lot of info there...I will read all of it. I wish physicians were more informed about IBS, and more supportive. Thank God for people like you!MJ

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have been off of the Elavil since March of this year. Do you think that enough time has lapsed, that my body would respond to it again? I have to admit the 5 years it worked for me were like heaven! (I was on 10 mg...went to 25 mg when it stopped working, but it didn't help...just gorked me out, even though I took it at bedtime.) I very rarely had flare ups...most of the time, flare ups ocurred because I ate something I knew I should not have...like ice cream! The only thing it did not stop was the gurgling and bloating. I thought that was normal for me, until I got put on Levsin...it has completely taken that away, as long as I take it before I put anything in my mouth! Also, with the Elavil, I was able to eat most anything without problems, except for dairy, fried food, and the usual gas-producing veggies. As I said earlier, I am now afraid to eat hardly anything, for fear of the D raging...I have had one attack since starting the Levsin one month ago....my diet basically now consists of oatmeal, bagels, banana, strawberries, chicken, mashed potatoes, and an occasional egg.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have been off of the Elavil since March of this year. Do you think that enough time has lapsed, that my body would respond to it again? I have to admit the 5 years it worked for me were like heaven! (I was on 10 mg...went to 25 mg when it stopped working, but it didn't help...just gorked me out, even though I took it at bedtime.) I very rarely had flare ups...most of the time, flare ups ocurred because I ate something I knew I should not have...like ice cream! The only thing it did not stop was the gurgling and bloating. I thought that was normal for me, until I got put on Levsin...it has completely taken that away, as long as I take it before I put anything in my mouth! Also, with the Elavil, I was able to eat most anything without problems, except for dairy, fried food, and the usual gas-producing veggies. As I said earlier, I am now afraid to eat hardly anything, for fear of the D raging...I have had one attack since starting the Levsin one month ago....my diet basically now consists of oatmeal, bagels, banana, strawberries, chicken, mashed potatoes, and an occasional egg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.