Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allegedly digestion takes about 18hours after you eat something until elimination. Now with IBS often (usually) after you eat if IBS is going to hit within 1/2 to 1 hour you are having bouts of "D". Now how does that stuff already in your colon know its going to be "D". Maybe if you hadn't eaten it would be a normal BM? What signals your colon to turn it into D?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Most of what it is in the colon is there as liquid or semi-liquid hanging around for most of the water to be absorbed. Eating triggers the gastrocolic reflex, which stimulates the colon to contract. In IBS, this reflex is often hyperactive (which may be due in large part to increased sensitivity in the rectum). Thus, it forces the liquid and semi-liqud out before all the water absorption has been completed.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
hmmmmmmmm:Yes, a good question! Strange, isn't it?Also, since food doesn't get a chance to digest (myself - 20 minutes after I eat I get "D"), how is it that we aren't completely emaciated? Instead, I have gained weight!

G

·
Flux brought up a very valid point. Therefore, you people with the D kind - that is what happens. I too have had bouts of D and gained weight too. Go figure!AMF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.