Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Only two things work for me that aren't in pill form. Running helps me a lot although some people here have indicated it makes their D worse. Also, I know this may not sound appealing to some, but listening to Mozart's later symphonies really helps me, especially while I run. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes Guns and Roses, White Zombie, and really heavy rock. I was pretty suprised how much it calmed me when it was suggested but it works. My mom tried both of these and they didn't help. So who knows. Good luck!

G

·
Only two things work for me that aren't in pill form. Running helps me a lot although some people here have indicated it makes their D worse. Also, I know this may not sound appealing to some, but listening to Mozart's later symphonies really helps me, especially while I run. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes Guns and Roses, White Zombie, and really heavy rock. I was pretty suprised how much it calmed me when it was suggested but it works. My mom tried both of these and they didn't help. So who knows. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sarah,Have you thought about relaxation or hypnotherapy tapes?Look over on the Anxiety, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Hypnotherapy Forum - it has lots of posts with feedback from people doing hypnotherapy now and people who have finished.I initally tried hypnotherapy as a last ditch attempt to try and find something, anything to help with my IBS symptoms and sleep disturbances.However, as I went through the 100 day programme I found that it had other positive benefits as well as helping you cope with IBS - it made me more calm and relaxed than I had been in a long time.Hypnotherapy is simple, safe and non invasive and you can do it when you go to bed so it doesn't have to interfere with your schedule.Other good relaxation therapies e.g. swimming, aqua aerobics, yoga, tai chi, meditation, listening to music, reading, going for a walk...taking up a gentle hobby...the list is endless.I guess you just need to find sometime for just you and find something to do that will help you relax and that you feel comfortable with.I hope this gives you a few ideas,Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sarah,Have you thought about relaxation or hypnotherapy tapes?Look over on the Anxiety, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Hypnotherapy Forum - it has lots of posts with feedback from people doing hypnotherapy now and people who have finished.I initally tried hypnotherapy as a last ditch attempt to try and find something, anything to help with my IBS symptoms and sleep disturbances.However, as I went through the 100 day programme I found that it had other positive benefits as well as helping you cope with IBS - it made me more calm and relaxed than I had been in a long time.Hypnotherapy is simple, safe and non invasive and you can do it when you go to bed so it doesn't have to interfere with your schedule.Other good relaxation therapies e.g. swimming, aqua aerobics, yoga, tai chi, meditation, listening to music, reading, going for a walk...taking up a gentle hobby...the list is endless.I guess you just need to find sometime for just you and find something to do that will help you relax and that you feel comfortable with.I hope this gives you a few ideas,Clair

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Sarah, There are two things (non-medicinal) that help me when I am stressed. First, I drink peppermint tea. I happened upon it accidentally and noticed that it helped my D and also relaxed me. I have a cup before bed and in the morning when my D seems to be the most active. Sometimes I also have it during the day when I'm in my classroom ( I'm a 3rd grade teacher). Also, when I start to rush to get things done I get much more nervous and then the cramps and D start, but if I make a concerted effort to slow way down and breathe deeply, that seems to help also. I hope these things help you like they have helped me. Hang in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Sarah, There are two things (non-medicinal) that help me when I am stressed. First, I drink peppermint tea. I happened upon it accidentally and noticed that it helped my D and also relaxed me. I have a cup before bed and in the morning when my D seems to be the most active. Sometimes I also have it during the day when I'm in my classroom ( I'm a 3rd grade teacher). Also, when I start to rush to get things done I get much more nervous and then the cramps and D start, but if I make a concerted effort to slow way down and breathe deeply, that seems to help also. I hope these things help you like they have helped me. Hang in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.