Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had ibs for nearly two years now and for the last year or so it has affected me mentally and emotionally pretty bad.Im on the anti depressant ametryptiline 1 25mg on a night but theres days when I just sit and cry and cannot cope anymore with not being able to do normal everday stuff.The doc has recently sent me to see a councillor but after a couple of sessions I dont feel its working.I think I need to speak to someone who deals in this especially and knows what Im going through who can relate to me.My famiily try to be supportive but they dont really know cos theyve never been through it themselves and I cant really explain to them.Also to top it all off my fionce of three years has had enouh of my moods I get and has moved out.I used to get really moody and take a lot out on him cos I was feeling low and when he used to get too close I used to push him away but I dont know why!!!!Its so frustrating and now I seem to have lost everything cos I push people away and get terrible mood swings with people!!Can any one relate??I thought the anti deps. were working at first but now I dont know what to believeSome comments or help would be much appreciated cos I think Im going mad!!!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Heppers, how long have you been on the antidepressant? You should give it a good few weeks before evaluating its effectiveness. They take a while to work. You should discuss with your counsellor the concerns you have over the suitability of the counselling to your particular situation. As with the antidepressants, you need to give it a good few sessions, not just a few. The first few can be difficult, but also, they are spent assessing whether the counselling would be helpful to you, and identifying issues or concerns to discuss. Hope this helps,

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Heppers, how long have you been on the antidepressant? You should give it a good few weeks before evaluating its effectiveness. They take a while to work. You should discuss with your counsellor the concerns you have over the suitability of the counselling to your particular situation. As with the antidepressants, you need to give it a good few sessions, not just a few. The first few can be difficult, but also, they are spent assessing whether the counselling would be helpful to you, and identifying issues or concerns to discuss. Hope this helps,

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It can take some time for counseling to do some good.If you really feel that the counslor is a bad match for you (you can't trust them, the chemistry is bad....that sort of thing) it may be worth trying someone else, but as long as the match seems good you may need to go for a couple of months before seeing a difference.Also it can be hard for us to see the difference in yourself. If there is someone close to you that you can trust it may be worth getting some outside opinions of how you are doing.One comment about the antidepressant you are on. At the dose you are at it may help the IBS but is unlikely to alter mood.Usually for IBS the dose is 10-75 mgs with 25 being a pretty common dose and for depression it is 75-150 mgs. so for mood alteration you may not be at a high enough dose, but it may help over time with the IBS.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It can take some time for counseling to do some good.If you really feel that the counslor is a bad match for you (you can't trust them, the chemistry is bad....that sort of thing) it may be worth trying someone else, but as long as the match seems good you may need to go for a couple of months before seeing a difference.Also it can be hard for us to see the difference in yourself. If there is someone close to you that you can trust it may be worth getting some outside opinions of how you are doing.One comment about the antidepressant you are on. At the dose you are at it may help the IBS but is unlikely to alter mood.Usually for IBS the dose is 10-75 mgs with 25 being a pretty common dose and for depression it is 75-150 mgs. so for mood alteration you may not be at a high enough dose, but it may help over time with the IBS.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.