Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!I am almost 36 yrs old, and have been living with IBS for about 4. I was just diagnosed last year when I found a Doc who didn't think I was crazy ( like almost everyone I knew!)I began to think I was crazy too. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with me. Well after many trips to emergency rooms, and even Gall Bladder surgery, here I am. I am on fiber therapy and take Paxil every day. I seem to be having attacks every 3-4 weeks. I just had one last night. I am so sore from all the pain, vomiting, diahrrea, and resulting dehydration, that it's hard to move, let alone function. I have a full time job, 2 kids, and a husband who doesn't know how to cope with me when I get sick! All in all today, I feel pretty worthless. I don't know what happens to anyone else who has this. Anyone have the same symptoms? Any advice to give would be appreciated too. Thanks for listening.Kerri.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Kerri-Sounds like you're talking about my life (except the husband and kids). I'm 37 and have had IBS D for about 4 or 5 years. I had my gallbladder out in Jan of 1996 and the problem got worse.I take Librax and Levsinex every day, which has held my attacks down to every couple of weeks. This spring, I started taking a probiotic called PB8, which has made me almost normal again. I still have to watch what I eat, but my life is so much better now.Keep trying things. There's always hope that you'll hit on the thing that will change your life. For lots of people on this board, it's Caltrate Plus. For me, it was the PB8.Welcome to the group. Keep us posted.Debbie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry, You have a tremendous challenge on your hands and that you survive each day is an amazing accomplishment. You need to get your hands on Molly's brochure and the Lotronex survey by Glaxo Wellcome to give your husband. Both of these are on this site, try the search function or I will try to find and bump it up for you. Your symptoms sound all too familiar except for the vomiting. I've had horrible nausea but you might want to look around for info on the vomiting. There's some great books on the subject, look in the book review part of this site.It sounds like you need a really big hug and support. I'm not good with my Internet abbreviations so I'm sending you a big, big hug. It's not your fault you don't feel well but I know exactly how it makes you feel your worthless to everyone. This is a tough illness to manage but it can be managed. I'm far from cured but am so improved since March primarily due to the help I've received on this BB.My husband has taken awhile to actually have some understanding of what I go through with attacks (he likes to pretend I'm just fine). I don't have children (just a bunch of pets) so it's even more important you feel you have your husband's support.I hope you feel better and keep us informed on your progress and questions. Jackie

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Kerri - Hello. Welcome to the board!Well, I certainly suffered from the "D", for years actually. And I know what you mean about feeling crazy - I felt weird, like a freak. Finding this board and realizing that there are lots of other with these problems made me feel normal again. My husband has always been very understanding about my IBS but just to re-inforce it, I had him read some of the posts here. That made him realize even more what we have to go through. Perhaps your husband would take some time to read a few posts too. It might help him to gain better understanding of what you have to go through.I'm sure you'll get some great advice here. I found taking Caltrate Plus greatly helped my "D". I feel pretty normal now, most of the timeI hope you're soon doing better...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kerri,Welcome to the board. Eric has given you great sites to read, and Anxious has given you good advice.I am Type D. I use Calcrate Plus (purple and white box), Imodium AD, and Equalactin.Anxious is right, also, about trying to get your husband to read some of the postings. It certainly helped mine to understand what is going on with us.Hope you feel better soon.......------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Welcome to the board Kerri!! You have come to the right place to discuss living with IBS. I hope the sites Eric posted help you and hope you feel better soon!------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Kerri & welcome!Can definitely sympathize with you - have had the "d" & dehydration. When you find yourself becoming dehydrated, you can drink Pedialyte (as a Mother you probably know the stuff well!) - you can also use Gatorade but I recommend dilating it with water - it's a little sugary.Also, had vomiting as well - but I have GERD so it was from that.As for the husband part, I can relate as well. Have a wonderful husband who had no idea what to do for me. It's very frustrating for a spouse to see their loved one getting sick & not know what to do. Hopefully you'll find some things on this board that'll work for you!-UPandDOWN

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome to the board Kerri: I can't give you any more information than the others have. But beleive me you are at the right place for understanding, help, and support. Maro
------------------"WORRY IS INTEREST PAID IN ADVANCE FOR A DEBT YOU MAY NEVER OWE"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for all the good wishes and support! I appreciate it more than you'll ever know-or maybe you do?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi. I am another Kerri. I don't have IBS, it is my husband who does. He has IBS-D with constant pain from cramping and gas. There is also a constant level of anxiety. I read the BBs because if he does, it gets him too depressed and then he feels really sick. Actually thinking about the IBS at all (even to try relaxing breathing to slow down) makes him very anxious and starts a downwards cycle. You gave Kerri some advice for her husband so he can better understand IBS and what she is going through. I would appreciate it if anyone can offer me specific advice that will help me help my husband cope. All he tells me is that he needs encouragement. However, if I talk at all about how he feels that gets him upset. I hope your experiences will help me help him to have a better quality of life until we can find a cure. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.Kerri (the other one)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I've had a bout of bad D (which seem to be less often as I get older-59), I've taken pepcid or tagamet and it does seem to help my stomach. I like the pepcid better but it is more expensive. The tagamet (you can get without a prescription or get generic which is just as good) seemed to give me D when taken for a week or so and so I use pepcid. Any of those ulcer meds should help and can now be bought over the counter. My G doc prescribed it for me years ago (probably the only help he really gave me). I think after we go so much, it really irritates the bowel lining and the ulcer meds probably help heal. Hope this helps. Moms sure have a lot of stress these days anyway. Good luck, feel better soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.