Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know it is not the same type of drug as zelnorm an d I do need a motlity drug but someone said that it gave them D.- hey thats fine with me as long as I go good- dont care how watery- anyhow my concern is that it will make me feel like vomiting b/c of all Ive read on here. anyone taken it with good results?? Ive only seen the negative and it is a drug my dr. wants to try- I just keep saying no- maybe I should try it???? I suffer from the Incomplete evac. issue even when things are soft or watery- think it may be worth a shot?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, with zelnorm, I take it in the am and hour later after i eat i go- does amitiza work fast like that? I know that one you take with food but if I ate and took it then what????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have taken amitizia with food, in my case i just have some oatmeal . There really was no big case of feeli ill for me only a little and I could care less if I get to have regular functions. Amitizia helped but it was not like zelnorm for me there were still cramping and a good amount of bloating. I am surprised there isn't a black market out there for zelnorm so many people are freaking out. Oh amitizia worked overnight for me not instantly but zelnorm never worked instantly for me either. How crazy is this that I am jealous fo people who go to the bathroom regularly?

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
oh i definitely think amitiza's worth a try. we're all so different in our reactions to meds--it might work for you, Lorilou. it certainly did work for all those people in the clinical trials so it must work well enough for many people. and yes, taking it with food is what the patient instructions recommend to minimize the nausea. and others have mentioned using mint tea or altoids etc to help with nausea. but you may not have any nausea at all with it.oh yes, large--i definitely have "poop envy". like with my hubby for example--poops where ever and whenever he wants--nice large ones (or so he says--not something i personally want to verify) and eats whatever he wants....sounds like heaven!

·
Registered
22 Posts
im waiting to talk to my doctor too aout this. I think i am going to try. I still have about 30 zelnorm left. I stopped it for a few days thinking i could manage - disaster!I take a fiber/probiotic combo pill (digestive advantage chronic constipation) but the magic bullett with it is the zelnorm. I too dont care about D or watery...i just need to GO.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey large, when you say overnight you mean you took it in the pm and next day had results? wow- id like to have something to get all my four times done before I even have to think about food- now i go 3 times before I eat while i wait for the magic hour to pass after taking one zelnorm then after an hour i go again- then im done- it takes four times to get it all out-I take a zelnorm at bed too but I think i can manage without that one- its the gas and bloat that keeps me hooked on the nigth zelnorm- i also take reglan which helps push stuff through faster... just zelnorm or just reglan dont do it for me - I seem to need the combo- think I will ask about the amitiza- dr. said he would write ascript- hey what can I lose at this point???

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also recently went off Zelnorm, I was taking it along with Amitiza for almost a year. Since going off Zelnorm I've continued to have a large bm every morning, just one and I'm done. Although the Amitiza doesn't help with all the other IBS symtpoms...gas, bloating and pain.I just bought Heathers Fennel Tummy Tea and it seems to be working great for me.Yes, amitiza does make you feel pretty crappy! For me, only in the am. Luckily I've been able to cut out that dose. It does need to be taken with food. I always take it after my meal with lots of water, I found it made me more nauseous if I didn't drink enough.It can't hurt to try it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was having both. All along I always went every day but only small little rabbit pellets and I had that awful feeling of ie. I never realized I was constipated but I did go just very tiny amounts.Last summer I tried both Zelnorm and Amitiza on their own and neither worked, but trying them together was definitely the solution for me.Since going off Zelnorm I've continued to have normal bm but have had increased bloating and gas. I know a lot of people are scared off by the side affects of Amitiza, but it does work for some people. I do think it needs to be taken in combination with something else though because it doesn't help ALL of the IBS symptoms, only C.Hope that helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.