Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who take or have taken this medication, is it supposed to be taken with your meal or 30 minutes before the meal?I don't think it's really working for me but I just wanted to be sure -- the directions say with the meal and the staff at my gastro's office said 30 min. before. I just want to do it right before givig up.Thanks, Dana

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
I only took amitiza for about a week, since it didn't work for me and made me horribly nauseated--so much so that i finally had to give up. I took it with meals, as directed on the patient instruction leaflet that came with it. I never thought of taking it before meals. I wonder why they told you that? I read a lot about it before taking it and i seem to rememember it saying somewhere that taking it with meals was supposed to help reduce nausea although that didn't seem to help for me.sorry it isn't working for you, Dana. are you taking it with zelnorm? some people have posted that taking both of them worked better than taking either of them separately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am on Amitiza and have been since the summer. My dr and the labels on mine say to take it with food. I've had luck with amitiza in combination with Zelnorm. I hope you find something that works for you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, I think the staff at the office was wrong and it's supposed to be taken with food. The first 3 doses I took went great but I went off the Zelnorm as per my doctor's instructions at the same time. I guess he wants to see if the Amitiza would work on its own? they gave me enough samples to last 3 weeks.So dose 4 & 5 didn't do anything. I didn't even get nauseated. Then I took a Zelnorm about 2 hours after dinner and just had a bm. It seems like the Zelnorm still gives me the urge but not much else and the Amizita does the rest - for the moment. I guess I could go off the Zelnorm in another week and see if the Amizita is working any better on its own. Can't hurt. I have to say that my gut went completely silent after going off the Zelnorm -- I "forgot" that THAT is the main definition of this syndrome for me. For many years before the Zelnorm I was using sorbitol and magnesium and laxatives and they did work, although they caused me abdominal pain. But at least I was going every day instead of once a week. There's something really frightening about that silent gut. It makes me really anxious.Dana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.