Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on amitriptaline (elavil) for about a month and a half and have noticed some improvements with a 25mg a day dosage. The Ibs-d isn't gone completely, but i'm not as reactionary to foods, and my stools tend to be formed these days. My doc suggested upping the dosage to 35/40 mg a day and I tried it for a week. During that week I was hungrier than I've ever been (which I know is a side effect of the med) which made me eat more, larger meals and snacks. When I eat larger meals, or a lot in general, my IBS tends to act up. So, the upping of the dosage is not a good thing for me.I'm wondering if any of you tried both amitriptaline AND nortriptaline and whether or not you have noticed a difference between these medications. Or if you have tried some other tricilic which works for you. This is the only med which has proven somewhat useful for me (I've been on about 20 differnet routes with meds) which is quite inspiring, but it's still not a great fix.As everyone is, I'm just so fed up with this awful disorder and wish it would just leave my life.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi nrep,Having had IBS since 1983, I have been on just about every med - I do remember that the amitriptaline was one of the better ones, however, the good effects wore off, and by the time the dosage was increased to 50 mg, the side effects became more than the good it did. I cant recall if I took nortriptaline, however, from what I have read, the weight gain is less on that one, though I would imagine it could vary from person to person. In the end, every med I took, and this includes the SSRIs as well as the antidepressants, and anti-diarrheals, and even some narcotic pain relievers - they either worked briefly, and on a limited basis, or not at all. And of course, you can only be on some of these for a restricted amount of time anyway. The SSRIs really messed me up and did nothing at all for my IBS. I really got tired of the pills not working and the side effects for some were somewhat scary - so after 17 years of various medications and supplements I went the hypno route and that worked better than the meds overall and long-term.But as for meds, I would say that the amitriptaline worked the best for me of all the meds - but I believe I was on it less than a year or so - but many folks have found it helpful. For more info on all the meds I took, etc. you can click on my journey link below. Hopefully some other folks may have insight as to your question as well... If you have any questions, do let me know - Take care.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Amitrpytaline is a tertiary amine.Nortriptaline is a secondary amine like desipramine.Someitmes the side effects of the secondary are a bit less so some doctors tend to prescribe those for IBS rather than the tertiary ones.Most of the time people do have individual reactions and it is whatever one works for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you mention the SSRI's. I was also on those for a while and everything got much worse. Then I did a bit of research and found that the SSRI's SHOULD be used for IBS-C, while the Tricylics SHOULD be used for the IBS-D due to their tendencies to move the digestive system and slow down the system, respectively. Not sure why my doc didn't know this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I'm on amitriptyline 50 mg since two months now and it helped me a lot too, at least the stomach issues. When I ate something before starting this medication I always had very bad nausea and my apetite was very bad. Now I can eat a lot more though I get the same thing if I eat a large meal, my IBS act up. It doesn't do any help about my IBS food tolerances either (milk, alcohol, coffeine) I still get bad diarrhea so I don't rely on it much. Though my stomach has been a lot better.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Funny you mention the SSRI's. I was also on those for a while and everything got much worse. Then I did a bit of research and found that the SSRI's SHOULD be used for IBS-C, while the Tricylics SHOULD be used for the IBS-D due to their tendencies to move the digestive system and slow down the system, respectively. Not sure why my doc didn't know this.
This is my understanding also based on a bit of 'googling' and SNRI's are another route too as they constipate more rather than loosen the bowels.

·
Registered
208 Posts
HiI have been on both, and found nortriptyline to be better. I felt less hungry, and it calmed down my stomach. On 30mg per day. I did have C at first, but I have linseeds with my porriage in the morning, and I am not C anymore..also I have done a restricted diet which has help greatly.Good luck Fiona

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had increased appetite also, but after a while your metabolism slows and it gets better. The only problem I have had is the weight gain with the higher dose of 75mg. The weight is steady now, not gaining or losing, and my appetite is actually less than it was before I started it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.