Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--I am considering Amitriptyline to treat IBS symptoms--mainly bloating and constant feeling of fullness after eating. I am sensitive to many foods, but elimination has only helped a little. Has anyone used this medication for IBS successfully (or unsuccessfully)? I am starting with 10mg at night, but my GI dr recommended I up to 20mg/day after a few weeks once I see how my body reacts to this. Would love to hear people's experiences! I tried Rifaximin, but it did not help me at all. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have taken various anti-depressants over the last 25 years since being diagnosed with IBS. I was on Lexapro for quite a few years. I weaned myself off and didn't take anything for a while. Now I am on nortriptyline. I was told to take it at night, but it gave me crazy dreams so now I take it first thing in the morning. It is in the same class as amitriptyline. Anti-depressants work for IBS sufferers because they calm the nerves in your gut, just like the nerves in your brain. Try it for a while, at least a year, and see how it affects you and your lifestyle. Don't be afraid to talk to your physician if you don't like the side effects. There are many different types of anti-depressants. You have to find one that works for you.

Good luck! I hope it helps you even if just a little bit! We all wish for the 'magic pill' that will eliminate our IBS, but unfortunately that hasn't been developed....yet!

Deb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts