Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need help!

Ever since I got on Amitriptyline for my IBS - (D & C) at the suggestion of a few people on here. I have went from 152lbs to 194lbs in weight gain as a side effect of the Amitriptyline & Celexa(for OCD + Depression) that I am on. So my question is simple. How do I go about loosing some of this weight without getting off of Amitriptyline for my IBS?! My IBS is truly SEVERE & I dont know of anything else that can help it outside of this drug. 🤷🏾‍♂ So if anyone on here can help me with this side effect of the Amitriptyline & Celexa, I would truly GREATLY appreciate it! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Thank you much 👌🏾

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello everyone, I need help!

Ever since I got on Amitriptyline for my IBS - (D & C) at the suggestion of a few people on here. I have went from 152lbs to 194lbs in weight gain as a side effect of the Amitriptyline & Celexa(for OCD + Depression) that I am on. So my question is simple. How do I go about loosing some of this weight without getting off of Amitriptyline for my IBS?! My IBS is truly SEVERE & I dont know of anything else that can help it outside of this drug. ‍♂ So if anyone on here can help me with this side effect of the Amitriptyline & Celexa, I would truly GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you much
I recommend asking your doctor to prescribe an alternative. When I was taking it, I gained 10lbs in a month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an amitriptyline weight gain question. Actually 2 questions.

1. The weight gain- is it that the med by itself is causing weight gain? Or, is it that the side effects are causing the weight gain, ie lethargy, hungry all the time, less energy to exercise?

2. Amarna, or anyone, how long does it take amitriptyline to start working on IBS-D?

I started 1 week ago on amitriptyline 10mg and had a pretty busy night last night. Just curious when I can expect to know if it's going to help me.

OK, a 3rd question, lol, for those who have tried low dose tricyclics AND who also have issues with anxiety and/or depression.

3. I worked in a psych field for many years and have some knowledge of psych meds. I know that the therapeutic dose of amitriptyline for depression is 100-200mg, if memory serves. Do the low doses of tricyclics have any effect on your anxiety or depression?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Spencer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an amitriptyline weight gain question. Actually 2 questions.
1. The weight gain- is it that the med by itself is causing weight gain? Or, is it that the side effects are causing the weight gain, ie lethargy, hungry all the time, less energy to exercise?
2. Amarna, or anyone, how long does it take amitriptyline to start working on IBS-D?
I started 1 week ago on amitriptyline 10mg and had a pretty busy night last night. Just curious when I can expect to know if it's going to help me.
OK, a 3rd question, lol, for those who have tried low dose tricyclics AND who also have issues with anxiety and/or depression.
3. I worked in a psych field for many years and have some knowledge of psych meds. I know that the therapeutic dose of amitriptyline for depression is 100-200mg, if memory serves. Do the low doses of tricyclics have any effect on your anxiety or depression?
Thanks for any feedback :)
Spencer
1. Apparently Amitriptyline causes increased hunger(specifically carbohydrates), and decreases your metabolism in order to stop or lessen the pains from IBS.

2. It took only a week to start working for me actually, but everyone is different I guess?! Maybe you need to increase your dosage?!? 🤷🏾‍♂

3. The low doses do not have any effect on your anxiety or depression, at least not for me anyway... Which is why I also take Celexa as well. 💁🏾‍♂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.