Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

after struggling with severe ibs symptoms for the last 9 months i was put on amitryptaline by my doctor and have been raising the dosage

since then. initially i had a good improvement, no trapped gas pains when waking in the morning, and not such an urgency for bm, and not as frequent either. i had days when my stomach felt well, which i have not had for months.

However, when i read up on other ibs sufferers taking amitryptaline, i see that many are using dose of 10mg or 25 mg, whilst i am on 75mg as 25mg at night did not work

Has anyone else had experience of taking a higher dose of amitryptaline for ibs and has anyone had success long term?

any experience would be appreciated

Lucy

·
Registered
153 Posts
The higher the dose of amitriptyline the more its antidepressant action comes into play. Perhaps you are feeling better because of the antidepressant action? IBS also has a very big psychological component to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good afternoon

after struggling with severe ibs symptoms for the last 9 months i was put on amitryptaline by my doctor and have been raising the dosage
since then. initially i had a good improvement, no trapped gas pains when waking in the morning, and not such an urgency for bm, and not as frequent either. i had days when my stomach felt well, which i have not had for months.

However, when i read up on other ibs sufferers taking amitryptaline, i see that many are using dose of 10mg or 25 mg, whilst i am on 75mg as 25mg at night did not work

Has anyone else had experience of taking a higher dose of amitryptaline for ibs and has anyone had success long term?

any experience would be appreciated

Lucy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Lucy. I've been on 50mg of amitriptyline for past 6 years for my ibs-a. The d was getting so bad with practically no warning I was afraid to go out. It does take a good few weeks to really get the benefits of it and you need to work up slowly. Be warned though you may suffer from severe constipation. I live on lactulose and the occasional sennokot these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts