Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyoneI have come to ask a question about an ache I have been experiencing for the past 9 days now located centrally at McBurney's Point (I'd rather use that term than appendix :EEK)The first few days it felt like cramps that would occur in waves. A deep breath would thwart it. Then, it became a dull discomfort localized in that area. But on the 5th day I started feeling tired and my eyes would burn when I closed them. I think this may have been the 'mild fever'. I also felt achey in the head and neck. I got some good sleep and it was gone the next day. On to day 8/9, I still feel a slight discomfort in that region, but the aches are minimal now. I felt a couple waves of it today. However, tonight I feel a mild fever again. What does this sound like? I can't get an appt for another few days, advice nurse wasn't too thrilled about my situation I guess. I don't have any elimination issues or gas. And like I said, this is more of an ache than a stabbing, burning, excruciating pain. Doesn't feel like it's gonna go away though.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS pain can be in that location, but you'd need 6-12 weeks of pain before that diagnosis kicks in. 9 days is way too soon for that.All sorts of infections can cause some abdominal pain but without any other GI symptoms (like watery diarrhea) that doesn't seem to fit.If the pain gets severe or you get rebound pain (see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/appendici...ECTION=symptoms for description) that may mean don't wait for the appointment and go to the ER.Sometimes people get small stones or things like that kinda stuck in the appendix and a few people can have a low level infection that never gets bad (sometimes can be chronic).There really isn't a difference between pain that will go away soon and pain that sticks around, so I don't know how you can sense that difference. Also people can have cysts on other body parts or other issues like that which can be painful in that area. Unfortunately for the abdomen the pain locator part of the nervous system isn't very precise, so you often do need to get things looked at before you know anything for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was able to get an earlier appointment this morning and the doctor thinks it's just from over-exertion (exercise). I was doing abdominal exercises the morning of the flare up. It felt like an ache from eating something bad though, not exercise induced pain. But I guess it can still happen that way. And he couldn't explain why I had a mild fever and nightsweats. Maybe I was just freaking out about it being appendicitis, he assured me it was not because I'd be in more pain. Hopefully this isn't a chronic problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's been 3 months now and I'm still getting aches in the lower right quadrant. Woke up early this morning with an ache and it was relieved after going #2.What I am noticing now is I feel bloated after dinner, my stomach protrudes way out, and I start experiencing flatulence. I also hear a lot of grumbling.Obviously if I pass gas or go #2, I feel relief. Does anyone think this is chronic appendicitis, IBS, or possibly Crohn's disease? I eat a healthy diet, but I also fear I might be eating too much fiber (I eat a lot of leafy greens, fruits, and legumes, grains). I also eat large meals at dinner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Although they are classic IBS symptoms, you should make another appointment with your Doctor for a thorough evaluation. I very much doubt appendicitis but other possible colon diseases need to be ruled out. In the meantime, reduce your intake of gas producing foods, particularly the legumes, to reduce your level of discomfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.