Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm male, aged 26, and have been suffering for two years - it makes leading a normal life impossible and I constantly walk away from different doctors with the conclusion:"It's quite common in highly-strung people of your age, you just have to learn to live with it."It doesn't help that I've been through a turbulent emotional time recently - the death of a brother, my first and life-crushing case of heart-break, but then again this was all around before then!I'm at a loss, that's why I'm here. I've tried many combinations of medication - fybogel, peppermint oil, antidepressants (made me more depressed - weird, eh?), other medications (I forget). But the question is:two years ago I was free of IBS and I dream of living those days again - if I lived them before, I can surely live them again, what can I do to get back?thanks for your help

·
Registered
476 Posts
We all dream of living those days again!At least I know that I do....Never will be free of it, I don't think, but managed or in remission would suit me.I am better than I was and so can you.As Bonzi says, give us your symptoms and then we can maybe help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats the way I feel too....although my time frame is different, about a year on and off, constantly for over 2 months now. And yes like you I have had an over abundance of stress etc in my life lately, but I have had stress at least this bad before, why did I deal with it then and I can't now??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess our body and psyche change over time and we will never be what we were once. Sadly I discover many things changing when I look at myself and they're definitely not changing in the way I want. Then I remember my friend who got bone cancer at the age of 28 and I realize how small and insignificant my suffering and worries are. I wouldn't dare call my life destroyed by IBS knowing what is a life destroyed by a deadly monster of a disease!This friend of mine is a pure example of unbreakable spirit and strength - I try to learn from him to cope with IBS.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Thats the way I feel too....although my time frame is different, about a year on and off, constantly for over 2 months now. And yes like you I have had an over abundance of stress etc in my life lately, but I have had stress at least this bad before, why did I deal with it then and I can't now??
Stress can lead to the release of histamines which can cause inflammation which can lead to bowel disfunction. Like the development of any chronic condition, there may be a point where continued inputs of any antagonist can lead to a change in your body's response. At that point, it may be enough to just work on the stress or, like me, you may need to work on the inflammation, as well.Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.