Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.Just a quick update to let you know I have had all the tests and was yesterday diagnosed with IBS PI.It has taken 2 GP's the first one very kindly told me I had a delicate stomach and it would all blow over and it was in my head!!The second was excellent and it's thanks to him; I returned feeling terrible (I was going to put up with feeling rotten). He has prescribed Omeprazole (temporary measure) to stop acid/nausea which has helped.I was told by my GP this has been caused by a bug I got on holiday (camplylobacter). He will see how I get on and discuss further treatments with me.Thank you for probiotics these have helped as well and I am being helped by GP to manage my stress levels which seem to make this thing worse.I don't really know where to start I have tons of questions, I did ask a lot but there were a few I forgot (blur of diagnosis) such as is this permanent? and what's the prognosis?Long post sorry but any other tips/advice/experience/bit on here for the PI bit (you have all had this longer than me) would be greatly appreciated as I am still trying to get my head round this and am new to it all.Thanksloulee

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is chronic (long lasting) but not necessarily permanent.Most typically in people with PI-IBS from one paper that came out awhile ago it looks like for those that go into remission the time line is in the 2-5 year range. Can happen after that, but typically if it is going to happen, that is the range. You need 6 months of symptoms (technically) for an IBS diagnosis as some people will have a few weeks to a month or two of a "dodgy" colon after a GI infection but nothing lasting longer than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for this information Kathleen and for your reply.Mine fits perfectly in the time bracket of symptoms for 6 months - mine started in March.I am optimistic about the remission time which is good to know.Thanks for the info once again this is a very useful site and I am going to find out as much on here as I can on IBS.loulee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.