Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this in the constipation forum because, well, that's what I have usually. I developed IBS-C when I was 15; I can even remember the day it began. At the same time, I developed anal fissures. I didn't know what they were when I was 15, but now, nearly 30 years later, after having gone the colorectal surgeon route, I know that the problem began at the same time the IBS began.I take Zelnorm, and it helps me a lot. Unfortunately though, it only seems to work for about 4 to 6 months at a time. After that, I have to go off of it for a while in order to have it work again. I know that beginning a new dose is going to work again because I will get a headache for 2 days after beginning the medication. If I don't get the headache, the Zelnorm isn't going to work.I have noticed something about the anal fissures, and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. Zelnorm clears them up. I mean overnight. I had a particularly troublesome one that I was going to have to have cauterized again. I was on a Zelnorm holiday when the fissure began. I just started the Zelnorm again two days ago, and the fissure was gone over night. Does anyone know why Zelnorm would have this effect? Has anyone else seen Zelnorm do this? Thanks.Steven

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/ is an online resource about fissures you might look there to see if this happens to tohers.The only thing I can think of based on how Zelnorm works is that without it the straining and constipation tends to keep opening it up and as soon as you stop reinjuring it maybe that allows it to heal quickly??Along the lines of pulling a chest muscle or brusing a rib would heal up in a couple of days if only you would stop breathing for 48 hours to let it heal
K.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
That is interesting because my hemorroids, which had not previously bothered me, flared up when I first started with Zelnorm. Go figure! I've been taking Zelnorm for almost a year now and my hemmies only very rarely bother me now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.