Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done any research on anal/rectal prolapse? I read up on it & it says that it is possible to have internal prolapse (you wouldn't even know you had it inside you) and that it CAN cause gas & mucus leakage & minor bleeding. I have had blood in my stool before but I think that was from being constipated & straining too hard. Wonder if this is has any signifigance to LG?

·
Registered
47 Posts
HiDo you mean like a bowel lining prolapse?Quite a while ago I saw a surgeon who said that I had a mucosal prolapse and that that could be causing my symptoms - he tried a non-surgical treatment without success and consequently offered to do surgery, which I declined due to it not being a 100% guaranteed success - I had seen this doctor as a private patientWhenever I have brought this up with other doctors I have seen on the NHS (I'm from the UK), they were not willing to carry out the surgery on someone of my age (31 now) - they carried out tests on me and said that I was within 'normal limits' and should just try and manage thingsI am quite sure that I have some form of internal bowel lining prolapse, and at times it can feel more obvious.... and there are certain things which can make it worse for me, like exercise for exampleSurgery however just seems like too much of a risk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RP- Yes that is what im talking about. How did they find it - colonscopy? what tests have you had?What are your symptoms? Sorry for so many questions but I am trying to figure out if maybe I have this problem too & the doc's just dont bother to tell me! What was the surgery they offered you? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You would go to a colorectal surgeon for that. The one I went to last month tested for rectal prolapse, weakness, and other rectal abnormalities and said there was nothing wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I saw a colorectal surgeon and he noticed the prolapse when he did his initial sigmoidoscopy (or however its spelt!) - he said that part of the bowel lining internally had prolapsed and caused a little fold which was potentially causing my problems/obstruction - this can cause gas/mucous/pain/bleeding as you describe - basically the prolapse can cause everything to operate less efficiently by affecting transit and how efficiently the sphincter muscles operate - he also mentioned that muscles may be stretched as a resultHowever I did subsequently go for tests.... I think they were called 'Anometry' or something like that where they test sensitivity, resting pressures, muscle operation and whether there is a prolapse - and I was told that everything was within normal boundaries! What I always wondered about though was how they can really test resting pressures when they stick something up inside you to test this - surely it would be normal to tense up with anything inside you...... go figure!Anyway the procedures which the colorectal surgeon mentioned: firstly the non-surgical route which was to inject an alcohol-type substance into your bowel lining which effectively causes a burn, which as it heals retracts the bowel lining back up.... in theory - didn't work for me!The surgical route sounds wholly dodgy - basically the one which was described to me was where they cut out the prolapse and then staple the the bowel lining together - this is very drastic and presumably this will weaken over time - apparently there is the risk of some incontinence following the surgery as well (kind of defeats the object!) - this surgery is usually something that is carried out on 'older people' and something which doctors shy away from with younger people!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bless your heart, that sounds just awful. Either way you go is no good. I cant believe there is nothing they can do to help you. Do you have IBS C or D and leaky gas? I have had the anal manometry test as well and you are absolutely right ... when they run that tube up your a** its kinda hard not to clench up.
(and to think we are trusting these "genius's" with our health) DUH!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts