Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybodyI found this forum a little while ago and thought it's now time to 'officially' say hello. I am not sure what to expect from this forum but there appears to be a wealth of information on here and that really gives me some hope. I am a 36 year old male and was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago and since then it's got slowly but steadily worse. On the plus side I think I have been able to adapt my lifestyle and my diet to keep the whole thing halfway under control. Nevertheless IBS is affecting me a lot. I feel pretty much constantly bloated (and I am, my belly looks scarily bloated very often) and that sucks all energy out of me. I feel often tired at work and I hardly ever go out after work like I used to. My social life has certainly suffered a lot but at least I have a (fairly) understanding partner which helps. I think I have a pretty healthy lifestyle. I am quite active, walk a lot and cycle to and from work (1 hour per day). I eat well and of course I try to avoid food of which I know that it'll make the condition worse. All this makes it even more frustrating because I don't have a clue how to change my lifestyle to get some improvement. I am pretty certain that IBS in my case is stress related. It definitely gets worse when I am stressed or nervous. On a normal day I can at least keep things under control by sticking to my usual routine and schedule but once things change, for example when traveling (and I love traveling), things usually get much worse. The strange thing is that I don't think I am a very stressed person. I've got deadlines and responsibilites in my job like most people but overall it's probably one of the more relaxed jobs and I don't usually feel very stressed. But somehow this comparatively small amount of stress seems to be enough to cause IBS.My doctors never specified the exact type of IBS I have (before finding this site I did not ven know there were different types). I usually don't really have diarrhea but I always feel bloated and as if I had to go to the toilet, even if I've just been. I usually got loose bowels in the morning after breakfast, then maybe again a while after I get to work and usually at least once more in the afternoon after lunch but at no time do I feel empty. I feel slightly better after bowel movement but then things get worse pretty quickly, especially after eating. My belly is so bloated that, despite not having gained any weight, I cannot wear the same trousers I had some years ago and there's just always this horrible feling of pressure in my bowels.I once tried a medication. I cannot remember the name but it was supposed to deliver a relaxing substance (I think mint) to the bowels but it did not really make a difference. Nowadays I just make sure I have some Special K in the morning and a capsule of Psyllium Husks. That let's me at least have some bowel movement before I get on my bike to cycle to work but I never feel 'empty'. I also look as if I had a massive beer belly which is almost ironic as I hardly ever drink alcohol since I was diagnosed with IBS.Well, I am sure you have all heard hundreds of similar stories. I think it's probably a good idea to start reading through the forums but obviously, if any of you guys have any suggestions or advice, I'd love to hear from you, otherwise I'll see you in the forums ;-)Sito

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.