Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My condition is mainly socially induced where I get anxious and pretty much work my bowels into a frenzy anytime something social or sponatenous happens. And its pretty much situations where I am not comfortable or don't know much about the place I will be going. A perfect example is a vacation. I've been dealing with this for 10 years and a few months ago I went back to my doctor looking for a different route. I started on an anti-depressant called Clorimipramine and for the most part, it only has bulked me up where I don't have bowel movements that often however I still get them more frequent in those given situations. However, in a way, it kinda helped my confidence and I've been slightly better the last few months.So yesterday my girlfriend randomly brings up taking a trip to Montreal in 3 weeks. I of course immediately feel the chills in my stomach and my reaction was far from enthusiastic. She knows my condition and is sort of sympathetic but not really that much because she really can't understand it. So today she asks me how I am doing and I tell her the truth that I got anxious thinking about it but I'm interested in trying. But her response was that she just wants to go by herself now because she doesn't want to deal with another one of my episodes since there are a bunch of her friends up there that she wants to meet up with and go out. After that comment, I just got up and walked away to go watch TV. It really got me depressed and really killed my confidence buzz. I haven't had an "episode" in a while and I'd hardly called them episodes. I just go to the bathroom 3-4 times before we go out some place so it takes me a little longer. Yeah, this was more venting that anything but I just don't know what to do. She knows my condition very well. We live together and have been together for many years. But I just feel like a drag on her sometimes because I know she wants to go adventure and my weak stomach gets me nervous. And I really want to go.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I know how you feel. I'm in the same situation, having problems with anxiety when it's trip time. I am doing much better lately, however the word Vacation still has an uneasy ring to it. My wife goes on a couple trips a year without me. One for Joyce meyers in hershey, PA, and one in Lancaster for a Boyds Bear convention. Yeah, A teddy bear bear get together. The difference is she begs me to go every year and of course every year I decline and tell her to have a good time. I understand her need to get away without having to think about what can I eat, where can I eat, where's the nearest bathroom, etc...Hope you two can work this out without any hurt feelings.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Me to, and with summer here the pressure is really on to go places, i am very lucky coz my hubby is very understanding, but i do see the disapointment in his eyes and my childrens if we have to cancel.There's a air show coming up next month and my hubby wanted me to go also, but all they sell there is fast food and their toilets are always full, so i convinced him to go with his mate instead, coz i know he will have a better time.It is a sad fact but the way i see it is my hubby hasnt got ibs, but he is living with it daily and having some time out from it once and a while isnt such a bad thing, i live for the day i can.I hope you sort it out, take care

·
Registered
67 Posts
I load up on Immodium if I am going on a trip, although I haven't needed it as much since finishing Mike's tapes. I think they are more of a crutch now, but I take for insurance anyhow

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we ended up booking the trip and I'm excited about it. My doctor gave me a prescription for BuSpar and Donnatal so I'll see how this stuff works for me. I tried Mike's IBS 100 program and it didn't do much for me. I emailed him a few times about it and he told me that he was working on another version for analytical minds like myself but I never heard any more details from him. I just need to get that constant worry out of my mind!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Really am sorry to hear about your anxiety being so high. From what you wrote, you are making the connection to an emotional source producing a physical reaction. May I suggest that you visit this website: www.emofree.com. The Emotional Freedom Technique is not voo-doo or a cult or anything--it's an amazing easy to learn self-help tool that you learn for free (just download the manual) and utilize any time you need to for a huge range of physical or emotional issues. Even if you don't believe it'll help at all and are inclined to scoff at such things (I don't know if you might thin that, but then I don't know you either) it's really an incredible gift to those who use it. I know it will be of some benefit to you, if you try it. Good health to you, and hope you have a great trip to Montreal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can you refer me to the tapes you are talking about?
quote:Originally posted by IMhopeful:I load up on Immodium if I am going on a trip, although I haven't needed it as much since finishing Mike's tapes. I think they are more of a crutch now, but I take for insurance anyhow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts