Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I understand your concerns. I just had my endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. Now, trust me....I am the biggest baby when it comes to medical procedures. I survived and it really truly wasn't bad at all. I was so scared, I was on the floor and wouldn't get dressed and tried to let my husband sleep so that we would be too late to get to the appt. But, my kids woke up and the rest is history. I was afraid of the prep causing terrible cramps, nausea etc. I was afraid of the terrible gas afterwards and more problems. It was nothing like I expected. I had the easier prep because I convinced my dr. I would not drink that gallon of stuff. They gave me the Dulcolax prep. No problem...no cramps. Then I was out for both procedures. Endoscopy is a tube down your throat. Colonoscopy is the tube up through the colon. I told dr. how uneasy I was so he made sure I was out. I fell asleep and just woke up and it was over. I've had no gas pain and no diarrhea or pains since. I was very lucky. Just be very honest with your physician and make sure he is kind! We are the "boss" of our bodies and no one can "make" us do things against our will. Good luck to you....if I can do it, anybody can!

·
Registered
304 Posts
So glad you were able to use the Dulcolax prep. It is so reasonable! I think many more people would be open to having colonoscopies if they could avoid "the prep from Hell". Now you can be a mentor for others who, like us, were so very frightened before and so very relieved after!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree...DO NOT worry about the colonoscopy. I went through it for the first time last week. The waiting and wondering was definitely the worst part! The sedation drugs were great and it was a relief to get through the procedure. I didn't expect it to be that easy! As for the prep, I took phospho-soda (drank it straight followed by juice) and it certainly cleaned my system. It was a painless prep, but it caused numerous bathroom trips. The whole thing was really no big deal. Try to relax, and post here for support.
Darlene

G

·
Hi All!Thanks for this info. I just can't imagine how I would be able to swallow a tube or whatever without gagging! I also have fears of being out out, due to three eye operations for a detached retina in 1986. Those memories are still very real, and, this being the first treatment I have had since then, is re-surfacing all those memories and fears. Thankfully I am seeing my GP on Monday morning, so I'll talk all this through with him, and find out whether it's 'upper' or 'lower' or whatever!Thanks for the information folks. Suddenly I feel a bit of a coward!Andy------------------ http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/

·
Registered
304 Posts
I hope you'll be as surprised as I was to find the two endoscopy procedures a piece of cake! I was convinced my doctor hadn't even done the upper endoscopy. Then two days later I had kind of a lumpy sore throat for a day or two. Proof he really had passed "something" down my throat! I can hardly swallow a small pill without gagging! You won't feel a thing! CeCe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.