Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my blood test results back showing that I'm still anemic and my numbers are even lower than last time. I also still have my stomach issues (pain, gas, bloating, incomplete evacuation) and I'm really stuck on what to do next.

So far I've had:

-Colonoscopy

-Endoscopy

-Meckel scan

-Abdominal ultrasound

-Abdominal/pelvic MRI

-MR Enterography

-fecal calprotectin and celiac disease

ALL were normal. The only tests that are off are my CBC tests which always show low iron levels, which is slightly worrying considering I've been taking vitamins with iron in them (not straight iron pills) yet they still haven't improved. I'm female btw.

I have an appointment with my GI on Tuesday, any advice on what I should ask? The thing is, she'll probably be hesitant to do more testing considering I've had so many.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a guy. I have low RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit. MCV and RDW are normal. What numbers are low for you? Most doctors just give you iron. If you have SIBO (and I have tested positive for it) iron is really bad. I just took iron for 3 days last week and I am still not recovered from it. Anemia is not uncommon in SIBO. You might consider taking lactoferrin.

Anyway, like with IBS, it seems like you have to take charge of your own health. First, what was out of range, or nearly out of range on the CBC?

Tests to consider: reticulyte count, iron panel (iron, TIBC, ferritin, transferrin), B12 and folates,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a guy. I have low RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit. MCV and RDW are normal. What numbers are low for you? Most doctors just give you iron. If you have SIBO (and I have tested positive for it) iron is really bad. I just took iron for 3 days last week and I am still not recovered from it. Anemia is not uncommon in SIBO. You might consider taking lactoferrin.

Anyway, like with IBS, it seems like you have to take charge of your own health. First, what was out of range, or nearly out of range on the CBC?

Tests to consider: reticulyte count, iron panel (iron, TIBC, ferritin, transferrin), B12 and folates,
Thanks for your reply. I actually don't know much detail about my most recent CBC other than I'm anemic and also have low Vitamin D. But the test before this one (taken around April I think) showed low hemoglobin and either low MCV or MCH (not sure which one). Everything else looked fine.

I also had an issue with my platelet count, I think my PT/PTT/INR times were slightly out of range. I took vitamin K for it. Not sure if this ties into anything but that was the only other thing that was off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts