Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent most of Thursday with my GI and having tests run. I have been quite ill the past 3 weeks with IBS-D. He called while I was out today and on the answering machine it said he wanted me to phone him on Monday. My bloodwork all came back very good except some numbers showing I have anemia. Have any of you suffered from anemia? I am afraid he will put me on iron suppliments, and the last time that happened, I was so constipated with the most explosive diahrea behind it, it messed me up for quite some time. I have been on Questran, and have asked to be put on Colestid [sp?] as it is in pill form and I will be more apt to take them than I was drinking the Questran. Will the Colestid hamper whatever I do for the anemia? Is there anyting in the Questran that would have made me anemic? Could rectal bleeding [a goodly amount] cause anemia? I know I can ask him all these things, and plan to, but if any of you have dealt with this, I'd like you input so I may come up with a thought or question I hadn't considered.Thank you, in advance for any advice, information or direction.~Karen

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have had anemia. Mine is from heavier than usual periods (ain't getting older fun).Rectal bleeding can cause anemia if it is often enough over a long enough period of time.I think the big thing to find out is if the anemia is iron related or B-12 related (the details of the blood tests should show that). I don't know if Questran binds B-12 or iron or not, I think it can bind some other things, so that may be one thing.There are a couple of different kinds of iron supplements so it may be you might tolerate a lower dose (for me the iron doesn't bother me, so I can take the higher dose prescription ones. I can get the same iron salt as a OTC supplement at a lower dose (still enough to make the stool greenish) lately I have tried the slow-FE and that i think I absorb better, less green in the stool and less odor in the gas ( I think the iron feeds the stinky bacteria too well)K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have had anemia. Mine is from heavier than usual periods (ain't getting older fun).Rectal bleeding can cause anemia if it is often enough over a long enough period of time.I think the big thing to find out is if the anemia is iron related or B-12 related (the details of the blood tests should show that). I don't know if Questran binds B-12 or iron or not, I think it can bind some other things, so that may be one thing.There are a couple of different kinds of iron supplements so it may be you might tolerate a lower dose (for me the iron doesn't bother me, so I can take the higher dose prescription ones. I can get the same iron salt as a OTC supplement at a lower dose (still enough to make the stool greenish) lately I have tried the slow-FE and that i think I absorb better, less green in the stool and less odor in the gas ( I think the iron feeds the stinky bacteria too well)K.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kathleen,Thanks for the information. The last time I had to do iron, it was horrible. I was sick to my stomach, had heartburn, and was constipated. [Something to look forward to, right?]Due to my bile issues, stools are green anyway, so that won't be a shocker. I went in because I was having so much rectal bleeding this past 3 weeks, and so much diahrea I was weak as water, and wondered what was causing it. Maybe we have just discovered what it was. I am being watched for Crohns. The last few times I've had biopsies taken the results were what he termed 'inconclusive' and that it could be mild crohns, or not. I keep having things point to it being Crohns [anal fistulas, bleeding, fatigue] but he seems to still think it could be bile issues causing the bleeding and inflammation. Who knows.I just want it stopped and I want to get back to doing all the things that this is trying it's darndest to keep me from doing.Again, thanks.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kathleen,Thanks for the information. The last time I had to do iron, it was horrible. I was sick to my stomach, had heartburn, and was constipated. [Something to look forward to, right?]Due to my bile issues, stools are green anyway, so that won't be a shocker. I went in because I was having so much rectal bleeding this past 3 weeks, and so much diahrea I was weak as water, and wondered what was causing it. Maybe we have just discovered what it was. I am being watched for Crohns. The last few times I've had biopsies taken the results were what he termed 'inconclusive' and that it could be mild crohns, or not. I keep having things point to it being Crohns [anal fistulas, bleeding, fatigue] but he seems to still think it could be bile issues causing the bleeding and inflammation. Who knows.I just want it stopped and I want to get back to doing all the things that this is trying it's darndest to keep me from doing.Again, thanks.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
If the constipation comes from unabsorbed iron passing through, I may be able to help. If it comes from some other reason, then I can't. Do you know?Mark

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
If the constipation comes from unabsorbed iron passing through, I may be able to help. If it comes from some other reason, then I can't. Do you know?Mark

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,I don't know, but I'll ask the doctor when we talk, maybe he can help with that question. Good question though. I appreciate the thought, and will bring this up, and if the doc suggests that it is from unabsorbed iron, I'll get back to you with questions.I am pretty sure that this is probably due to all the blood I've been passing. I am kind of thankful for the diagnosis of anemia, as I have just been dragging, and thinking it was from having so much acidic diahrea that I was just worn out. The anemia diagnosis explains the fatigue.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,I don't know, but I'll ask the doctor when we talk, maybe he can help with that question. Good question though. I appreciate the thought, and will bring this up, and if the doc suggests that it is from unabsorbed iron, I'll get back to you with questions.I am pretty sure that this is probably due to all the blood I've been passing. I am kind of thankful for the diagnosis of anemia, as I have just been dragging, and thinking it was from having so much acidic diahrea that I was just worn out. The anemia diagnosis explains the fatigue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.