Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, been reading some great stuff on here....Heres my issue. For the past 2 weeks I have been having these cramp like feelings. Very dull, no sharp pain,etc. Its so dull, that its almost just aggravating because I can feel it but it doesnt hurt. On a scale of 1-10, its a 1 or 2. The feeling is normally just left of my belly button, but it moves left, down and sometimes up. So the pain is not really centralized.I have very consistant bowel movements. Usually twice a day. One in the morning and another in the eve. Both are usually normal firm stools. I am in the process of doing alot of weight training, and have been consuming 5-6 meals a day. I do not eat any junk food or red meats. Mostly chicken, veggies, granola and milk, although I have been cutting back on the milk.I am 29, and have been in great health my whole life. I just had a physical a month ago and besides some minimally elevaled AST and ALT levels(Due to lifting I assume.) everything else was perfect.At first I shook off the cramps, then got kind of nervous because of the location and started freaking out about colon cancer. There is no history in my family, and again, I have very normal and consistant stools. I do have hemmoroids, and have seen blood in my stool once or twice in the past 4 months. Both seperated by a few months(Small red streak)The past few days Ive had quite a bit of gas, and have not been eating anything outside the norm.After freaking out about it possibly being colon cancer, I looked into maybe it being IBS. Not sure if any of my symptoms fit either one. For it to be IBS would I have to have constipation or diahrea? For Colon Cancer would any of my symptoms need to be worse? With a normal CBC, I would have assumed I would have something very off for a serious disease to be going on, but not sure.Anyway, theres my anxiety written in a few sentences. I have been keeping an eye out on my bowel movements for any change, but they all seem normal. Was going to go to the doctor about it next week if it doesnt go away. Other than all of that I feel great. As a matter of fact, I have gained 20lbs, alot of it muscle over the past 4 months by having a good diet and lifting weights 4 days a week.Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have half your relatives died of colon cancer by the age of 45-50 (or had colon removed from cancer) and they have told you that you need to start being monitored starting at 20 or 25 rather than 50?If so, your family has a colon polyp disease and they should have done a screening by now to see if you are in the 1/2 of the family that has it.If you are not in one of those families it is extremely rare to have colon cancer before 60 and most people don't even have polyps at 50 when they start monitoring everyone.So it is unlikely to be colon cancer.IBS ranges from extremely mild to very severe. On the mild end of things you may have mild achy pain (and pain is a major symptom of IBS much more than full blown diarrhea or severe constipation. Some people have severe pain but only mild changes to stool consistency or frequency). Now on the mild end the stools might be a little softer or a little harder than normal and you may not see a change in frequency. Or you might go a bit more or less often without much noticeable change in stool consistency.Now if every single stool is always perfectly totally normal and nothing ever changed at all, there are OTHER functional diseases. It does not HAVE to be cancer or something much more serious than IBS. LESS symptoms of IBS usually means other functional bowel problems not something much much worse. The much worse always have additional symptoms you don't see in IBS as part of the disorder. Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain is all the pain of IBS without any change in stool. You can also have painless change in stool and it is still just one of the functional bowel diseases.See if some peppermint tea or peppermint Altoids make the pain ease up. That works for a lot of people and maybe if the pain doesn't nag you as much you won't worry about it so much. The worry is probably worse for you than anything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I do not have any history of colon cancer in my family. In fact, only 1 person in my family has ever died of cancer,and that was lung cancer after smoking for 30 years. (My dads step-brother)I decided to set an appointment to treat my hemorroids to help alleviate some of the anxiety I have of colon cancer. I think once thats cleared up, I will be less anxious and have less stomach problems. Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found recently that the cramps have now moved. Now I find that I cramp higher near the rib cage(Far left) but I am having at least 2-3 good healthy bowel movements a day. So no constipation of diahrea. Is there inflamation diseases/viruses that one can pick up in the colon? I have read up on Diverticultits, and this seems like it might be it. Weird that the pain has moved though. And I only feel it right before I have a BM.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
B Shel Have you made an appointment with your Dr yet?? If not I would do so. Also to have a firm IBS diagnosis you would have to have symptoms for at least several months. You have had them for 2 weeks only.See this for more info on an IBS diagnosis:http://www.ibsgroup.org/diagnosisI would seriously try to relax and if you find that very difficult to do, perhaps you may want to talk to your Dr about your anxiety as well. You labelled your symptoms as annoying so I doubt they are life threatening. BUT by all means, DO get yourself into your Dr to hopefully set your mind at ease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have an appointment with him on Monday. I have chilled a bit on my anxiety, but know once I have seen him and found a reason for my issues, my anxiety should be 100% relieved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the doc today. He gave me a RX for hemorrhoids but still said you should never gamble with your life when it comes to blood in the stool and recommended I go get a colonoscopy to be on the safe side. Trying to get an appointment set this week so I can be done with the anxiety. The past 2 days or so my stomach has been feeling alot better, and Im still having great bowel movements, but I wont risk it. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts