Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It does seem that we get a fair number of people recovering from eating disorders. However, IBS develops very commonly (with all the symptoms including bloating) in people who never had these issues.So it is hard to say that the eating disorders cause specific symptoms of IBS since they occur frequently without those issues.It may be that the eating disorders set off IBS in some people, particularly because I think they are very hard on the digestive tract. You have to remember that IBS effects 10-20% of everybody, so I expect a fair number of people with any other condition will also have IBS.K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have long suspected that my bout with anorexia as a teen triggered my IBS/esophageal spasm. I starved myself to the point where I stopped menstruating for two years, then when I started menstruating again, I had diarrhea and cramping along with it that I'd never had before. It's been mostly downhill from there. *sigh*

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I had bulimia 6 yrs ago and in the process lost a lot of weight, i dont reccomend it to anyone.. you make yourself ill and at the end of the day the only person you are hurting is yourself.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
i had anorexia when i was in my late 30s.. just goes to show you can go through anorexia at any age.. I look back now and know that i was such an idiot to abuse my body like this,i learned a valuable lesson from it, lose weight, sensibly..

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 16 years of bulimia, which I always thought started from digestive issues, it stopped the first day I started The Body Ecology Diet, by Donna Gates. The diet is a way of eating that heals the inner ecosystem -- basically, your digestion. It was like a miracle -- no more gas pain and after about 6 - 8 days, no more bloating. I feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I started a blog to share my experiences. I highly recommend The Body Ecology Diet. She addresses bulimia in her book & when I talked to her recently, she addressed anorexia and binge eating. I don't think there is enough understanding about digestive issues in the prevention or treatment of ED. For me, the only relief I ever got from digestive pain was through bulimic behavior. No more pain = no more bulimia. Even if you don't have pain, a disturbed inner ecosystem can cause issues like cravings, leaky gut and malnourishment. Stop by and read my blog for more information -- I hope it helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure which came first, the IBS or the anorexia. When I lost weight, I started getting stomach aches which has now led to 16 years of pain...colonscopy, endoscopy, polyps, etc. I am no longer anorexia in regards to starving and being too skinny, the IBS has only gotten worse. Does anyone have any tips on relieving the IBS? I am on zelnorm, restricted diet, etc. but the bloating, constipation never seems to stop!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey Heather, that sounds sorta like me..i always had digestive trouble, in that now and again, i would get ill, but it was mostly bloating.i thought i was fat,and it brought about bulimia, which helped with that so much..it was like my digestion was normal.im in recovery (over 9weeks now
) but the bloating, gas and discomfort, even pain are soul destroying.im on mebeverine, and so far, nothing.is your blog posted on that site?just because i cant seem to find it...im just really in need of some advice, because if i cant sort this out, i will resort back to bulimia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.