Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been around for about a year because for the most part my system has been fine. However about eight weeks ago I started in with the D symptoms. I always find it fascinating that once it begins, it is very much like a snowball rolling down a hill, you just can't stop it, until it runs its course.This time I was determined. And ladies and gentlemen, I believe I have FINALLY nailed a remedy for me that will hopefully mean I won't need to be around here much again.If you go back and search my past contributions here, you can see I have a history of suggesting 'alternative' remedies and then the resident policemen come along to ridicule them. Others have remarked that some of them just don't want people here to get better and of course doctors only want to push a magic pill that may work on symptoms but destroy some other part of your body (liver or kidneys come to mind) or destroy the balance of our systems, or worse.So here I am again with one that has FINALLY given me the solid BMs that are all our natures to have. KOMBUCHA. I drink one or two bottles a day and like most alternative protocols, the benefits go far beyond digestion remedy. My hair is softer and stronger. I have to trim my nails every three days now instead of once a week. My skin is brighter and healthier. No more liver pains. This is INCREDIBLE people. At first I had bought a bottle and it sat in my fridge and I actually tossed it because after a sip I didn't like it. Then when this latest bout came along I gave it another try, buying one of the flavors mixed with juice. NOW my body craves the stuff and I actually have been drinking two bottles a day - I like it so much. One bottle in the morning and one before bedtime - though I would guess that only one bottle is needed and the people that make this suggest a half bottle in the morning and a half bottle at night. I noticed amazing results in just a few days with just one bottle. For me, it really did bring my digestive system into balance.It has worked for me. I have no stake in or affiliation with the company. If just one person reads this and gets similar results, then this post will have been worth it. Of course physicians will be clueless to it and the forum 'police' will be skeptical. It comes down to who controls and takes responsibility for YOUR body. Why not try it for 30 days and see, is what I always suggest.Here is the link: http://gtskombucha.com/

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's around $3 per bottle. All of them have at least 95% Kombucha so they all work the same I suspect. Keep in mind that for me, at least, it was a gradual process, like maybe three or four days of at least one bottle a day. Report back after you've tried it and here's wishing you best success!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one has the sense that IBS (D or C) is a condition that results at least partly due to being 'out of balance' - i believe Kombucha's ability to rebalance the systems inside, via normalizing the acidity pH (metabolic balancing) is the key to its benefits. Clearly, the probiotics and enzymes are part of that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for the tip. I bought a bottle at Whole Foods and it taste sort of like vinegar, with fruit juice. I can do this. I'll check back in and let you guys know how it works for me. I am so hoping many of us could get some relief and this could be it.Has anyone tried Dr. Dahlman's protocol? I watched his video on line last night. If this doesn't work I may give his ideas a try. I am like the doc, I will try many alternatives and hope something will work. The doctors have written me off except to suggest using Tincture of Opium. That doesn't interest me. I would really be interested in hearing any alternatives that people have tried.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck with it. I got used to the taste and then once my body started craving it, I actually liked the taste. Funny how that works. I think that the grape flavor is a good one to start with. I also really like gingerberry. I continue to drink two bottles a day and with results bordering on perfection in terms of digestion.Here's a link from a few years back to an article that appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle about the company and product.http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g...3/elixkombu.DTL

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Kombucha is the generic name, not the brand. Several companies make it, and there may be brew it at home cultures you can get.I did see something on the FDA where there is a concern that if you brew it in anything that contains lead it may leach the lead out, so if you DIY you need to be carefulWhole foods or other health food oriented places seem to be where to look for it.Here is the wiki on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:Originally posted by Catalina:This isn't sold near where I live. Do you know what name this would be under, by other manufacturers?
I would make the drive to Dallas or as close as you can find it. It's worth it. GTS brand Kombucha is unique in that it is a refrigerated live, raw food. I have brewed it at home and the risk factor of contamination goes up with the wrong vessel, batches sitting too long, etc., as was just pointed out. Call the closest place and have them special order you a case (12 bottles) and then go and pick it up or have a friend drive it to you.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just checking back to see if anyone has gotten the same incredible results! Fifteen hundred reads, some of you must have given it a shot! if not, it boggles the mind!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
scudgal.Lactobacillus has nothing to do with lactose.If anything in theory it may help because these bacteria digest lactose in a way that does not generate gas and that may reduce the effect of the lactose.It won't make it worse.Data seems to indicate only some strains of probiotics maybe helpful for Lactose Intolerance.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you think the stuff you get really has live bacteria in it. (if it ferments other milk when you add bit to the milk and keep it lukewarm, then it has live bacteria)Some fermented milk products have enough lactose that a large amount may be bothersome at first (although lactase will block some of that). Some people prefer pills to fermented milk foods because of that. Although you would need more of the femented food (yogurt or kefir) than you would of the milk it came from as at least some of the lactose is digested for you by the bacteria.One probitic that is not a lactobacillus that is interesting from some recent research is www.aligngi.com It is a bifidobacterium I don't think it was tested in lactose intolerant, but it works well for some IBSers in clinical trials.K.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Doc: Have just located a pharmacy to purchase it and hopefully will get there tomorrow. Am praying my results are as good as yours have been. As you all know, we will try ANYTHING at this point! Will keep you updated!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.