Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is much worse than the last one I had 2 months ago. I might have to go to the hospital with this one. It started about 20 mins ago and the pain is getting more and more intense. I have this spasm like pain in the middle of my chest and upper right and shoulder blades. It feels like if you ever tried to swallow something that got stuck and then you got the spasms but these are radiating where the gallbladder is and in my shoulder blades. I feel like something is stuck in my esophagus but I know there isn't. Is this a gallbladder attack? I am so confused on what this could be other than that. All my tests were normal except my hida scan which was 15%. Because nothing else showed and the hida scan was low my Dr. referred me to a surgeon for a consult. I go on the 28th of this month to see him. I am still not sure what this is. Can this be IBS? Is this reflux and esophageal spasms. What brings them on if it is esophageal spasms?Well I took two bentyl and I am hoping they will begin to help with the spasms.Stay tuned...I know I will....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have any ideas on the pain you are experiencing- except to breathe and try to stay calm. I just wanted to tell you I am thinking of you and hoping your pain is going away. Go to the ER if you need to.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
RitaLucy, I hope you are going to the ER.Going to the ER when having an attack is often a very important diagnostic tool.How can they figure things out unless they see it in activity.Good Luck and I hope you are now getting good medical care,Hugs&Hope,Kamie

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I got through the spasms last night with taking 3 bentyl. They knocked me out about 1 hour after the attack started. Today I still have the feeling that something is stuck in my throat. I will be talking to my Dr. this evening when he calls me back. I tried not to go the hospital. I don't want to end up with a Dr. on call since I am so close to seeing the surgeon. I am still so confused as to whether or not it is my gallbladder or just esophageal problems. I have never had esophageal problems until just a couple of months ago and it is not continuos.Today, I have been able to drink some water and some juice and I am taking my bentyl regularly and I also took a nexium today. I guess gallbladder can cause these symptoms but I guess I will never know for sure.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
a thought - the feeling of something in your throat could be stress induced. I've had that before and it's really scary. if you're not having trouble swallowing, it could be this. You certain;y are under a lot of pressure right now - this is when it acts up for me.take care - hope all goes well with the surgeon for you gallbladder, the not knowing can be the worst!nancy

G

·
Ritalucy... I have had esophageal spasms that were severe enough that, had I not known what they were, I would have gone to the ER.Another perspective: How are your anxiety levels? Is there anything specifically stressful going on in your life at this time?The kind of pain that you describe could also come from an ulcer or a G.I. infection of some type. Believe it or not... it could also be a muscle spasm in your spine. Are you on any medication?I cannot diagnose you.... however, I can relate my experiences with the same to you.Warmly, Evie

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Rita Lucy, I just got a whole bunch of disturbing news today.There have been a number of things with both mine and my husbands medical problems that have fallen through the cracks.We have only found these things because we are changing doctors and I have demanded to hand carry my medical records.Your symptoms give me a feeling that I want to communicate to you to make sure you know exactly what kinds of tests you are getting run and what for.My symptoms have been a lot like yours.I found out to day that the last time I was in the ER with belly pain and the whole IBS symptom thing and a pulse of 119, that the ER doctor ordered a test called a Troponin - Ithe report showed myocardial injury extensive enough to conform with AMI"accute myocardial infarction"The diagnosis on the ER report states that the test also conforms with the diagnosis of AMI as defined by the W.H.O.below is a definition I found on a heart siteThere have been many technological advancements for the diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) over the past decade. Nonetheless, practical detection of AMI remains challenging in the emergency department (ED) setting. About 4.5 million people present annually at ED's in the United States with signs and symptoms suggestive of AMI. Of the 4 million who were admitted for at least 23 hours, about 2.7 million (67%) had no AMI. A more troubling statistic is that of the 5000,000 patients that were not admitted and sent home, 2-3% did indeed have AMI's that were missed during the ED evaluation. The current criteria for diagnosis of AMI are based on the modified criteria of the World Health Organization (WHO) which require the presence of at least two of the following three features: chest pains, evolutionary electrocardiogram (ECG) changes, and elevated serum levels of cardiac enzymes such as the MB isoenzyme of creatine kinase (CK-MB). http://www.dynacare.com/quarterly4.htm so, given that news of my current reality I not sure what to do next.This little black hole of medical space is the same black hole of an Emergency Room that sent my husband home while he was gushing blood out his rectum.We had to go to another hospital a few days later to finally get some care on the bleeding.I found all this stuff in my records and I called my old gastroenterologists office in another state and they were kind enough to tell me what the tests results meant and they have given me some good information as to what needs to be tended.In additon to that heart thing, there was alos a test that showed blood in my urine.There is no infection and the gastro office says that it's possible that something is bleeding inside of me too.In the ER report on my husband during the bleeding episode, the hospital said that his x rays didn't show anything so they used that as the reason to send him home.However, the x ray report reads that he had an enlarged spleen.Neither the gastro doctor nor the internal med doctor took the time to look at that report.And there's more.I'll catch up on it all as I vent here.I'm pretty mad right now.So, get a hold of your tests and records and do a little bit of investigative homework.There's just no telling these days.Kamie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.