Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have IBS/D. Most of the time I get along pretty good, but I had one of my bad attacks last night. All of a sudden the pain starts in my upper abdoman about where the breastbone is located. It gets worse and worse like labor pains (you ladies can relate to that). It comes and goes in waves steadily increasing until I feel like I just might die. I have gone to the ER twice with this pain. I have had the usual tests done and they see nothing wrong. I usually put a heating pad on my stomach and take Bentyl and eventually it subsides. Then the next day I have diarreah real bad. Does anyone else have their pain start in the upper abdoman? Every time this happens it scares me to death.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, mine doesn't start in the upper abdomen.But it really hurts when it does. I have those long periods of C, and then that D comes. I really, really hate it. It is so dehabiliting, and I'm always worried when the next "attack" will come. Extremely painful. I don't even feel like I can eat anything anymore half the time, because it might "trigger" it, and I just hate the pain so much. With me, the pain usually lasts about an hour, increasing, then getting truly horrible right around when my body finally 'expels' its contents. Then it often comes back and...yeah this whole ordeal lasts several hours. Then I'm very exhausted from it all. I'm so used to this routine by now, and I still hate it. I've never been to an ER because of it or anything but...yeah. Anyway. I don't have the same pain as you, but I know what dreadful pain thanks to this is like. :/ . I'm only in my early 20s and...God, I can't stand the thought that I'm going to have this happening to me for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pattymint, those are the exact same pains that I have... I also have went to the er a couple of time before, because I thought I was going to die.
I would hurt worse when I would breath.I have learned to live with it, and try to do quite meditations to help the pain go away. For me cold helps the area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my first attempt to communicate with anyone on the internet! I have a 26 year old daughter with IBS/D. IWe are so totally frustrated....the problem is the pain. Only thing that works is a visit to the ER, 10to 15 mg of morphine IV, fluids for the dehydration, and then compazine for the nausea. This has been going on for two years now. She's on dicyclamine, hyoscyamine, and just recently on Lotronex too. Vicodan pills don't seem to touch the pain when it comes. Only thing is morphine. This is affecting her life/job/finances. Is this pain this severe that morphine is needed????? What do people do for the severe pain besides the ER?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.