Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
AFAIK, aerophagia has been demonstrated formally only once using ultrafast helical CT scanning (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/quer...st_uids=8613047). But the results suggested that everyone is ingesting humongous volumes of air on each swallow, which seems ridiculous to me. So I am not convinced that radiologists have any means to observe this reliably. I think the difficulty stems simply from the fact that gas doesn't show up on the x-ray, only the outlines of body structures that show up black.However, it is possible because of what I stated above to locate and quantify gas in the gut. There is just no easy way to know how it got there or how it took to get there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the difficulty stems simply from the fact that gas doesn't show up on the x-ray, only the outlines of body structures that show up black.I am always told that it is a nervous condition that I adopted unconsciously when I was under extreme stress.I have been recommended to another shrink to help me with this problem.It doesn't explain why I feel like food sits in my stomach for hours and I burp what I had for breakfast all day long.Wouldn't a motility drug be of more help?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
They are talking about increased swallowing frequency, and that would introduce more air into the intestine. You could try timing yourself to see if it's true. Normally, humans swallow on average about once every two minutes.It would regardless make sense to have a gastric emptying scan and even an electrogastrogram and also a carefully donefluoroscopy of your esophagus and stomach (upper GI) in action.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would regardless make sense to have a gastric emptying scan and even an electrogastrogram and also a carefully donefluoroscopy of your esophagus and stomach (upper GI) in action.I've had 3 Gastric Emptying tests(Sluggish all 3 times) and am going to ask about the electrogastrogram when I see the new GI this month.I am finally going to a facility that has one.What could the fluoroscopy show that could be helpful?They will probably just tell me I have aerophagia again and recommend stress reduction. Again.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Sluggish all 3 times)
Did you get the actual results? What was the T1/2 for solids and liquids? If you are able to get an electrogastram, you may also want an antroduodenal manometry to see if the disease extends to the intestine, too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get the actual results? What was the T1/2 for solids and liquids? I didn't get the actual results.The doctor who did the 2 tests that came up sluggish just said "that doesn't mean anything" and "not to worry about it".All three were the egg test.If you are able to get an electrogastram, you may also want an antroduodenal manometry to see if the disease extends to the intestine, too.I will ask about that.Thanks for the info.
I have only had a small bowel x-ray.And guess what?That was normal too.At Temple they can simutaneously perform an electrogastrography,antroduodenal motility,and scintigraphic techniques to evaluate esophagael transit,gastroesophageal reflux, gastric emptying,small intestinal transit and colonic transit.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
You should ask for the specific results from both tests.
quote:That was normal too.At Temple they can simutaneously perform an electrogastrography,antroduodenal motility,and scintigraphic techniques
That's sounds a bit odd. It might be nice to do this for a comparative academic study, but I'd be surprised they would do this in clinical practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.