Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am going on a road trip tomorrow leaving at 8am and traveling for about an hour (driving in convoy)and Im panicking big time as this is possibly the worst time in the morning for me (IBS-D)- so am not going to eat before but may take an immodium as well - Can you take immodium on an empty stomach and how much should I take??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I am wondering if a good probiotic might help. Please make sure that it has a certain bactreria count and live would be best. Also make sure that it is multi-strained and contains both colonizing and transient strains. Find out if the bacteria is protected against the strong stomach acids when consumed so that it can be properly released in the intestines for the bacteria to work effectively.The reason I am suggesting this is that I know a lady in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada who has GERD I think and hiatus hernia and other digestive disorders for more than 20 years. She has to visit the bathroom often (more than 4 times in the mornings) and often feel weak. After trying a good probiotic for 2-3 days, her bathroom visits was only once and her energy level increased. I hope this would help and informative for youTake care n keep well, have a good safe tripRichard

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Saffie,Not sure I can help you much with how much Immodium to take or if it is ok on an empty stomach, but have some other suggestions that may help. Before I go on though, does the Immodium box have a Consumer Information Leaflet in it? If it does that can tell you quite a bit about how to take the medication, like how much, and when etc. If not go to this web addy for the info about immodium: http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/...B8080AEBC2F0839 Next, prepare yourself well for the trip. Take a change of clothes, some baby wipes and loo paper, keep them in a bag that you can get too easily. You might also want to consider using/wearing a protective undergarment (like depends). I know it seems extreme, but better safe than sorry. I have seen that a lot of people on the BB do this for safety/reassurance and it would really help I think to be prepared for the worst. As the saying goes, prepare for the worst and it may never happen.Hope this helps some, and maybe others will have some more info on taking Immodium. I persoanally take Lomotil, so if you have the time it may be worth seeing if you can get some before you go. It is I think stronger and works better than immodium.Take care and best wishes that the trip will be ok for you. :love:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response firstly Ive tried probiotics and they did nothing to help me so not going that route again. Sabriel did go and ask a pharmacist she was really nice and understanding and didnt make me feel stupid asking - FYI her advice was try and wake up at about 6 and move around etc then take 2 immo (can take on empty stomach)about an hr before going and all should be ok! I actually feel better since talking to her!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi SaffieNote you mentioned that you had tried probiotics. Perhaps you had tried the "freeze dried" or other weak one-strained bacteria?You need to give the really good strong probiotic a chance to work. One where the bacteria count (revival rate) is certain. One that has multi- and colonizing strains for it to be really effective. Make sure too that the bacteria is protected from the strong stomach acids and not killed by it when ingested.I know others who had bad D benefited within days from such a strong probiotic.Take careRichard

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
saffie - anecdotally, I agree with the pharmacist. I've taken immodium on an empty stomach before - just for that reason. And getting up early sounds liek a good idea. I've seen kmottus talk about hownour colon wakes up in the morning like the rest of us and is therefore more active then. So getting this restlessness done before leaving sounds like a good idea.have a good time on the trip!nancy

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't know if you've had your trip yet or not. Not sure how many hours ahead of EST you are!Yes take some immodium, and you can take it on an empty stomach. How much to take depends on how bad your D is and how much it usually takes to stop it. If my stomach is essentially empty and i'm feeling those twinges, i take 1/2 an immodium. if it continues, i take another.I doubt probiotics could help you in time for your trip. That is more to achieve overall healthy intestinal flora and it's not going to happen overnight.Please, everyone, take some of osumex's statements with a grain of salt. He may be just trying to help, but he does sell probiotics and has posted nearly identical messages on many posts.Good luck, saffie! I bet you'll be FINE!! And the more you tell yourself that, the more likely you will be. The more you worry about D, the more likely it will happen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi again Saffie,You have probably been on your trip by now, so I hope it went well for you.Very good idea to ask the pharmacist too. I have done that on occasion myself, and have also found them to be very helpful and understanding. One pharmacist even got out this HUGE book for me once and looked up the information in it.Another good thing about that option too, is many pharmacists are open really late or really early, so they are pretty accessible.Do let us know how the trip went for you, and I will definately remember the info about being able to take Immodium on an empty stomach being ok. Might need to know that myself one day.Take care. :love:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok all went ok - took 2 immo on wake up and then got so nervous and could feel the familiar growl and on way to meet others needed loo lucky was driving past where i work and had keys so stopped and went to loo and took another immo was fine through trip and know 2 days later haven't been to loo?? (talk about extremes) also have quite alot of gas guess its the immo trying to work its way out know!! havent taken immo in over a year which I didnt get so nervous cause I thik that causes most of my attacks - but thanks guys for the kind words actually went to build a house on Sat which is what the road trip was about so the discomfort Im feeling know was worth the result - see the meeting place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.