Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have had IBS for about 14yrs and it seem to be getting progressively worse. I have been reading the board and have tried different things ie fennel, ginger capsules and different teas. Even if I don't eat anything for a couple of hours my stomach blows up. I constantly taking gas-x pills, that is about the only that helps, plus a hot water bottle on my stomach. I read that pepto bismol helps and stops the smell a bit, has anyone tried it and does it work. Anyone have a suggestions as to how to deal with people at work, I am always anxious and think that they are talking about me and my smell. Its pretty bad when I can't even smell it, I never have but I've been told its pretty rotten. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also get gas from everything I eat or even drink. I tried going to a GI and he was of no help. I tried a higher fiber diet and that worked great for only 4 days. Then I started taking Beano with everything I ate and that worked great for 4 weeks. I had no gas at all. Now the Beano doesn't work. I get a gargling stomach that makes no noises along with bloating and I also have frequent BM's. Doctors tell me I have IBS but I don't have consitipation and the big D. My stool constantly varies on it's looks and smells. I also suffer from severe anxiety and some depression and mood swings. However the gas started about 6 months before the anxiety. It started out as farting alot and then that went away. This has ruined my life completely.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Boy can I relate to what both of you are saying. The idea of smelling bad and everyone but you knows really stinks. (no pun intended )I have tried everything but the only thing that helps w/gas is cutting back on sugars, starches and fruits, for some diary. But gas or no gas the odor is there.
The only people that understand are the ones on this board that have the same thing. Keep reading this forum and you will find there are many of us.Sorry to hear that you also have this problem but glad that you found us. Togeather we will find an answer.
It does distory the social life and going to work or among people can be pure hell. I have to force myself to go places, but I do try to keep going as don't want get to bogged down thinking of it.Like duckdive I had the gas and then the anxiety came. Joyce((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
:love:

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Also eliminate sodas. The best way is to start an elimination diet- boiled or broiled chicken and water and slowly addd other proteins and then carbos leaving a gap of four days for each food to see exactly what causes gas. If even the chicken gives you gas after 4 days then go on a complete fast except for water for 3 days., If that gives you gas then it is from the atmosphere. You will have to cut out chewing gum and sucking on candy, see if your teeth are properly aligned. Pepto Bismol does remove all the sulphuric smell- check out the thread smelly gas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
found that what worked for me took months. 1. 8-12 glasses distilled water a day. No other fluid except green tea. 2. Exercise each day. Work up a sweat. 3. Healthy diet. Lots of raw fruits and vegetables. 4. Whole food vegetarian liquid vitamins. 5. Good parasite and colon cleanse products. 6. Good probotics and enzymes. 7. Relax, relax and relax. Reduce stress. First is to reduce as many stress inputs to the body, mind and spirit. Second is to nourish and correct any deficiency. Third is to strengthen and build. West

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Even if I don't eat anything for a couple of hours my stomach blows up
quote:about me and my smel
What you describe here don't sound related.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have suffered from anxiety so I can totally relate. I often felt like I had a constant adreneline buzz. ALWAYS tense regardless of the situation. I would feel like this the minute I opened my eyes in the morning, so it wasn't just because I was worried about something. I went to an Endocrinologist and had my thyroid checked, all was ok. My primary doctor put me on Celexa 40mg. It took about 4 weeks but one morning I woke up and thought, "Oh my God, this is what I am suppose to feel like." It completely opened up the world to me; I no longer avoided situations that caused me anxiety. The only problem is that you are a young man and it can have some sexual side effects. There is a newer version of Celexa called Lexapro. It is suppose to have fewer side effects. Perhaps if you got your anxiety under control it would be easier to deal with you IBS symptoms. Stress and tension absolutely effects the severity of IBS. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I get gas I usually don't get the farts. My stomach makes lots of noises and if sloshy and my sides hurt sometimes. When I get really bad gas I do however get the farts and have to run to the restroom every minute it seems. I feel like if I fart I will end up crapping my pants. This all started out as farts for me. I would eat out for lunch at work and end up letting loose about 20 farts an hr. Then I stopped eating out and the farts went away but the big D started to happen. Then I had a anxiety attack and then gave myself stomach problems by worrying about getting sick when going out. I would go to a restaurant and on the drive home would start to feel like I'm gonna #### my pants. Then when I got home I felt fine. Now I do get sick if I eat out, which I've only done once in the last 2 yrs. I don't stress to the major cause in stomach and mental problems but in this time of living life is very stressful. I live in Southern Ca and it's very stressful living here with all the smog, traffic and overdevelopment. The stomach problems is what causes most of the stress thought so I'm just screwed all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts