Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read that anti anxiety drugs help some people. I find that i dont like goin out as much anymore b/c D mite hit me. And even when i do go out, i can't enjoy myself b/c im constantly worrying whether my D will hit me or not and whether there will be a toilet around. Then i think about how the rest of my life is going to be like this.....worrying about this stupid IBS. i also get nervous and anxious when i feel the types of cramps in my stomach that often lead to D...eventhough half the time they dont.Would anti anxiety drugs help me at all? Am i able to get a prescription from my GP or do i have to go to a psychiatrist? Also has anti anxiety drugs made any1s IBS worse?Is 18 too young to be on this type of medication? Im just so sik of thinking this way....and so sik of IBS
.....i dont know what else to do!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I do take anti-anxiety drugs and lately I don't think it's working very well. I wake up feeling like I need to take it right away, instead of waiting until I really need to. My GP is giving me them. I also started taking anti-depressants when I was only 15. All drugs have certain side-effects, D being a common one in all drugs I have taken!! Not helpful is it?!! I can relate to the anxiety about going anywhere, I get that just going to the store. Best thing is to sit down with your doctor and pour it all out to him/her. Hopefully they are a kind and sympathetic DR and will do whatever will help you feel better. As far as not knowing what else to do, posting here is a good start. It's always nice to know that there is caring support from people that truly understand.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi KP,If you haven't checked out the Managing Anxiety forum further down on the main list, you might want to. There are numerous discussions about the issues you've posted. Both doctors and psychiatrists can prescribe anti-anxiety meds, but many MDs are reluctant to do so because it is not their area of expertise. Take care.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
KP,-I also was pretty young(20 years old) when my "IBS" started. I remember having tons on anxiety even some panic like attack's going on. It does at the time seem pretty over-whelming! My Dr. and family thought it would be a good idea to give me anti-depressants, anxiety drugs a chance. But, my feeling was long as I'm an adult I would prefer to make my own decisions. After doing alot of reading & speaking with others on these drugs, finding out some of the complications, side effects, etc. I decided to go the alternative route. I spent most of these years really working on stress reduction. Getting into meditation, massage, breathing exercises, bio-feedback, yoga, etc. Can make a HUGE difference. My anxiety level was reduced dramatically & I felt that I could at least have a somewhat normal life. I still continued to have digestive problems but at least it seemed alot more managable. Going the Drug route puts you on a type of merry-go-round. Sometimes you have to schuffle between different drugs, differents doses.etc. And even when you find the right "drug" for a while..it may not last!!!And your back on the merry-go-round. "IBS" is difficult enough to deal with!!!, adding these potential other problems seems like alot to carry!!! If your main symtom is D, why not first try taking some of the dozens and dozens of different supplements for this?? One of them may work for you!!!!I know many people who have found relief from D or at least minimized the intensity. Searching this board, talking with others who found relief, reading every book on the topic, may give you the ANSWERS!!!What you need mostly is the right attitude to deal with this. Staying as positive as you can, realizing there are many people also suffering with this who have found relief, & not GIVING UP!!!!Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Anxiety has been the worst thing for me. I've been reading a book called "From Panic to Power" and its helped me a great deal. Just a thought.My IBS has been totally under control. The author talks about how people who are anxious can control the anxious thoughts we get in our heads like the "What ifs" which we all get with IBS when dealing with D. Its helped me not worry so much and actually have a somewhat normal life for the past month.

·
Registered
766 Posts
This is what "they" are saying about them : Antidepressants have been, and are currently being, evaluated for the treatment of IBS. Most of this research has focused on SSRIs and TCAs. The potential use of these agents is based on 3 observations.[79] First, antidepressants are assumed to have utility in this setting because of the observation that many patients seem to present with associated psychological symptoms such as depression, anxiety, or somatization. It is not clear whether this symptomatology results in more consultations for GI symptoms or if the symptoms are what caused the disorder in the first place.[80] The presence of psychological symptoms is more prevalent in patients who have severe symptoms and who are seen in tertiary referral centers. Second, these drugs may have a modulating effect either through a centrally mediated action or a local gut action that changes visceral and motor activity or both. Certainly, data in this area are currently limited. Last, both SSRIs and TCAs seem to have a central effect in modulating pain. On the basis of functional magnetic resonance imaging[37] and PET[38] studies, it appears that brain activation patterns to visceral stimuli are altered in patients with IBS compared with controls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had IBS-D for about 14 years. I have tried numerous medications and been to numerous doctors. This has been my best year in the last 14. I take Effexor(an antidepressent) and a generic form of Levisin. I take the Levisin under my tongue when needed. I take the Effexor every night. Most people take it in the morning. I had gone off an antidepressent drug for about 3 or 4 years and was trying natural things. They didn't work for me. But I am a big believer in trying natural remedies. I ended up the hospital about 3 times over a 2 year period because of the cramping pain. I also went through a period of great weight loss. Since I have been on these 2 medications for about 1 year, I have felt alot better. It also helps to watch your diet. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.