Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I figured out what caused my IBS. Three years ago I had my tonsils removed. About 3 days later I had a severe reaction to the antibiotics I was prescribed to prevent infection. I had always been sensitive (IE vomiting when I took antibiotics) but, I developed septic acute fulimanating colitis dificile(sp?). Anyways, I almost died because it came on so quick and the Dr's didn't figure it out for over 24 hours. (we are talking 104+ temp, blood pressure 54/36 w/ a 150 heart-rate).Anyways, after I took some medicine I was fine for the past three years! No problems whatsoever. But, about two weeks before I went to a foreign country in Europe I took anti-biotics bc I stubbed my toe and it was VERY infected. I noticed a little C before I went abroad but I just figured it was nerves.Once I got abroad I had what I thought was travlers D and C. But, it never went away even after a month. So about 4 and a half weeks into the trip I was admitted to a hospital with a low grade fever and severe pain to my lower right abdomen. I also had alot of blood in my stool. (they thought I had appendicitis) Anyways, I did not. But, I did have some sort of infection.I was thinking that the anti-biotics supresses my immune system and the foreign bacteria from a new country made my body go haywire. And that is why I have had all these terrible stomach problems for the past four months! Do you all think it could be a matter of the bactiera evening out again? and i could maybe get 100% better? I know its wishful thinking! But, i just want the days of a carefree life back so badly. I used to be up for anything, go out every night, go on any spur of the moment road trip. I just miss being able to do as a please with my friends and be a normal college student. (i even had to withdraw from this semster bc of all of this!)It is very depressing seeing all of my friends and my sister get to lead normal lives. I am not coping well with this at all. I would almost wish any other ailment onto myself then something that has to do with using the restroom. I am a very private person and I do not like talking about it with people. UGH! I know I shouldn't complain alot of you have it much worse then me. I also have made some progress and I know it takes time. But, I feel like I am wasting my life right now. It is very disheartening. (I know my spelling sucks!!)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm so sorry you are suffering as you are right now. It's no fun when things go bad and seem to stay that way. It is possible that your IBS was brought on by the antibiotics but I'd say (and of course I'm no doctor and am only guessing) that it's more likely the infection you picked up overseas.I've had IBS as long as I can recall. That being said I remember vividly this awful stomach virus I got when my eldest (now 6) was about 6 months old. It went through both DH and I but of course I got it worse. But things were coming out both ends at an alarming rate (I never thought it possible to throw up for 13 hours straight every 5 minutes, yes, we timed it when DH got it cause he wanted to know how much we'd thrown up, MEN, hehe) and I know that my IBS got significantly worse from then on. (Like I said, it was one of those perch on the loo with a bucket bugs cause you didn't know which end was going first!) and I have found it very difficult to improve. Sorry I'm waffling on. Basically no I don't think it can be cured but if you manage to restore the bacteria in the bowel you might very well lead a much better life than you are right now. I hope you can.Good luck and feel free to whinge at us any time. We all understand here

·
Registered
984 Posts
Have you got your Dr to do a stool sample? I'm only guessing here, but it crossed my mind that you could have clostridium difficile. This is generally caused by taking antibiotics which get rid of the good flora in our gut. I've had c-diff and it was awful. It can be very hard to get rid of as the spores re-hatch. There's an excellent web site http://www.cdiffsupport.com/phpBB/ but I'd suggest before you start reading up on it, you go back to your Dr and ask for a stool sample to be done. if you do in fact have this c-diff there is treatment for it. Touch wood, mine hasn't returned and it's been over seventeen months. I learnt over on that support group that it helps to take a good probiotic - one with billions of micro-organisms. I take Culturelle and one by Custom Probiotics which I get from my health shop - http://www.customprobiotics for info.Let us know how you get on. Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know. I just have the fear that IBS will be forever. I never had it before I don't understand why it suddenly came. I just am crossing my fingers that once the bacteria in my tummy even out again I will be a normal human being again! (my dr. thinks its post-infectious..)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It can be the nervous system getting mucked up when you had a GI infection. That is typically the how it comes on suddenly sort of thing. When your body fights off an invader there can be damage to you. IBS can be a result of that damage. It can heal up over time and normalize for a lot of people. Probiotics may help some, look for ones with bifidobacterium in them. You might consider taking probiotics when you have antibiotics. The antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria you have in the GI tract which can leave you likely to get a bad bacteria like C. dif that shouldn't be able to grow well a chance to take over. Getting some bacteria in there that get along with humans better as quickly as possible may help.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.