Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had IBS-D since I was about 20/21 years old. My symptoms have gotten steadily worse over the last 10 years to the point where it greatly affects my daily life. I am looking into all possible treatment options and anti-depressants have recently come up. I have to admit, that the success stories make it sound tempting... But I'm concerned with the side effects, especially considering that my job is fast paced and requires that I be dynamic, think on my feet and have a good deal of focus. I have this vision of being in fog, or at the very least, just not being sharp. Can anyone convey their experiences with these types of drugs?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
SSRI's are less likely to make you sleepy than other kinds. If anything they tend to increase alertness (so you need to take them in the morning so they don't keep you up at night).IBS doses tend to be lower or at the low end of doses used for depression so tend to cause fewer side effects.The problem is SSRI's tend sometimes will increase diarrhea so you may be better off with an SNRI or tricyclic, but those can make you sleepy the first week or so and need to be taken in the evening/bedtime.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I tried antidepressant last year,i took it at night as was told it could make me sleepy.I did feel a bit 'spaced out' the next day but it did ease of after the second day of taking it and i was fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey i too took anti depressents for a period of about 9 months, i was told leading into to it that different people react differently so it might take a couple of types to find the best fit, I did find initially that my concentration was a little poor though only a slight difference, the other biggy for me was not to drink alcohol while on them, binge drinking made me really speradic,,,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts